No announcement yet.
X

Help me trouble shoot this (electrical)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me trouble shoot this (electrical)

The symptoms started weird but now I think it must be something simple.

It started a few months ago. Shortly after de-winterizing, my bike began intermittently running rough, and I would lose RPM indication while it was missing. It didn't matter if it was warmed up or not, it usually happened when varying the power.

Then for a while it got worse and seemed to run rough most of the time and the RPM gauge would skip around while it was missing.

Then eventually, the right turn signal would illuminate dimly while it was running rough, but I lost all RPM indication except when it was running rough, then the RPMs would skip around a little.

Finally, it is running as smoothly as ever, but the RPM gauge doesn't work at all now. At least the bike is running good again.

I checked the fuses and the connection at the instrument cluster. All the other electrical equipment is working correctly.

What do you think?

I think you lost a ground.
    Clean and check your connectors.
    The tach and the turn signals share some wires
    (and connectors)
    Add some electrical grease to the connectors while you're at it..

Comment

Thanks, B_p. Now I just got to figure out where it grounds. I hate electrical systems.

Comment

Really? I love em..
        I was/am writing a book on them..
        Hey check the connectors first..
        I'm betting its a dirty/ loose connector.
        the connectors carry ground too..

Comment

I went throught the same thing last summer and I spend a whole day disconecting and reconecting all the wire and somewhere at sometime I must have found the bad wire because I have not had the same problem ever agsin.

Comment

Doesn't that stink?
            I mean you fixed it.. But what was it??

Comment

Sounds like you have (had) a wire going (went) bad in the main harness. Could be anywhere along the path, but I would start at the plug where it goes into the instrument panel. Probably the wire rubbed against a ground or (worse because its hard to find) it rubbed against another wire internally.

Look very carefully all along the wiring harness, but a good spot to look would be where it crimps tight to bend a tight corner. I can think of a few placeswhere it does that on your bike. Also, check where the harness exits the frame at the top right of the main fairing and goes along the headlight frame and brace.

You would be looking for or at the Tach wires (Orance with a red tracer and Pink) or the Rt Frotn T.S. wire ( Light Green)

Hope that helps!

PS: You left Akron????????????
              I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
              Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
              Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Ha, yeah. I got a new job, much better pay, flying the same jet and now I live a half mile from the Gulf of Mexico on the "Redneck Riviera", or "The Miracle Strip on the Emerald Coast" as the locals like to call it.

We do have some of the best beaches I've ever seen here, but the riding SUCKS!

Thanks a bunch Keith, that should help a whole lot!

Comment

Working...
                X