X

Need ideas on electrics...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need ideas on electrics...

Kind of a weird problem here, and it might be tough to figure out since the bike ain't exactly stock....

Occasionally,I'm getting electrical problems that seem to be effecting my turnsignals, and very rarely, the starter.

The other day I go to start the bike, it fires, and then quits immediately. Upon another push of the starter, I lose ALL electrics....clock and everything - but the key is still "on". I turn it "off", then "on", and push the starter....same thing. The starter just makes a single click, and I lose all power to everything. I dove under the seat and checked all the connections I could see - found a slightly loose connection on the negative terminal, tightened it, and the bike fired and ran normally.

Skip ahead one week.

Tonight coming home from work, I'm cruising along as normal and attempt a lane change. Push the signal button, and it blinks about four times. Then the headlights go dim for an instant, and the turnsignal stops blinking. I push the button to the side again, and it won't signal, so I "cancel" the signal, and try again. This time, it blinks a couple more times and then shuts off. It seems that it'll only start blinking again if I cancel the signal first....

It seems kinda weird to me....could it be a simple little short somewhere in the turnsignal circuit? The connectors that come with the CA LED integrated taillight are pretty crappy, and I did have a couple problems with them before........could it be that a little short somewhere in the taillight circuit is screwing up all my signals at once? (should I scrap the cheap CA connectors and just rewire it all with male/female disconnects or butt connectors?

And is it possible that this was the cause of my starter problem?

One last question - since the B-12 obviously has a different output than the Kat6 alternator....is that gonna end up destroying my wiring? I seem to remember that the B-12 puts out less amps than the Kat....so it seems wrong to assume that my problem is in the charging system. However, I are welder - I'm not very good with electrics....my experience is limited to the single course I took in high school years ago.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

Sounds kinda like Lou's bike when it would mysteriously cut out . Wonder how that's been going ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Check your ground wire where it goes after leaving the battery. When it leaves the battery, it should go to a fuse box, or possible the starter first. I would check that first. A grounding problem could cause several different electical problems.
      RUN WITH IT!!

W.F.O.......The only way to go!!!

'06 600 Katana

Comment

I'd bet that either it's:

(A) A bad ground signal at the negative terminal or at the place the main wiring harness connects that signal to the frame (or the cable inbetween), OR

(B) The battery has a bad plate in it (and/or build-up in the bottom from metal shedding from the plates) that is causing it to jumper the plates together effectively until a bump or something else shakes it apart again.

Because I believe in peace of mind, I'd pursue both (replace the battery, check the terminals and ground wire very carefully, replace as needed).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I concur with CP and offer this tip as well: double and then triple-check your wiring, esp. the ground connection from the battery. It tooke me three seperate checks of my battery connections before I realized that hte +ve battery wire was loose inside the lug connector. Since soldering it in place it has been perfect. A second tip is to solder any connectors rather than simply crimping them. It provides a much better connection and is waaaaay less likely to work loose again.

Comment

+1 especialy since you just swapped engines.

Comment

Working...
            X