X

One O-Ring in chain missing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One O-Ring in chain missing

I just lubed my chain, and noticed that I'm missing one o-ring on one of the links. I just put the chain on about 2 1/2 months ago, and it has about 5000 miles on it. I am extremely picky about the chain (lube/cleaning)... I just kerosened and lubed it last week and it wasn't missing. Can I just get this one link replaced? If I have to replace the whole chain again, my wife is going to kill me

Thanks in advance

New to Katriders? Click Here!

i would think you could cut it out and add a link.but i am not the pro.

Comment

Sure that's not the master link ? If not , then yeah , you can probably just slap another one on there . Not the GREATEST soloution , but it'll get you a few more miles .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I would contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say. Loss of an O-ring on a 70hp motorcycle in 5k miles sounds like a manufacturing defect. I know the RK chains + Vortex sprocket combo I recommend has a 20k mile warrantee on them

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

don't feel bad... i put a Tsubaki Omega o-ring chain on mine about 4000 miles ago and it is already toast.

most of my o-rings are cracked and it is stretched so much that my adjusters are maxed out and i still have over 1" of play.

then again... i did very little maintenance on my chain because it said it did not require lubrication.

i'm going w/ the RK/Vortex combo from bike bandit next since everyone on here seems to like it.
          I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
          http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

I went and replace on of my links last summer and I have had no problems as of yet.

Comment

How do you replace one link? Do I need to get a breaker? Or can I just take it into a shop and have them do it?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by gytrdunkat
                How do you replace one link? Do I need to get a breaker? Or can I just take it into a shop and have them do it?
                You cut that link out and replace it with a new one, just as if you were installing a new chain.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  Originally posted by gytrdunkat
                  You cut that link out and replace it with a new one, just as if you were installing a new chain.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  So you would end up with 2 masterlinks?? Not that it's a bad thing but that is what you are saying??
                  Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                    So you would end up with 2 masterlinks?? Not that it's a bad thing but that is what you are saying??
                    Basically...

If possible, avoid use of the ones that use external clips to hold the chain on -- get the type that rivet (mushroom the head) to go into place. The clips are weaker than the rest of the chain and using multiples is increasing the odds of chain loss. With a proper rivet tool, replacing a single link shouldn't make any significant difference as long as it's installed right.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X