No announcement yet.
X

Removing fairing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i figured if i was gonna run it it's not just a 1 minute to hear it deal. it'll be a good 15-20 min likely. so i do need to get the oil changed again in the spring? new to this so i'm not sure on oil changes and shit. could anyone tell me the approx price of gettin it done by a dealer as opposed to doing it myself with help

Comment

Originally posted by furitive_revolution
      i figured if i was gonna run it it's not just a 1 minute to hear it deal. it'll be a good 15-20 min likely. so i do need to get the oil changed again in the spring? new to this so i'm not sure on oil changes and shiate. could anyone tell me the approx price of gettin it done by a dealer as opposed to doing it myself with help
      its good to change it out before putting it up for winter - this is done with a lower price oil - then change it out after de-winterizing for a high quality oil. learn to do it yourself - filters about $15 and oil depends on what you put in it.
      i've neverr had a dealer do it so i don't now what they charge or what they put in it - probably 10-40 suzuki dino oil. yuk.
      tim

Comment

since i just bought it they did an oil change before bringing me the bike. so they put in a new filter so i guess i should just change the oil then from what i've been reading. sounds fun

Comment

I am on the west coast (or so) and dealers here quoted me $125.00 just to do the oil change. Cycle shops $110.00 while i waited. I know, pure highway robery. really. I did the whole thing myself for under $22.
          really not that difficult at all. just the removal of the lower fairing. that's all.
          good luck.

Comment

ok about the whole crap oil thing. i don't think i'm gonna ever do that. since every oil change leaves at least some particulate matter from the oil behind and with combustion temps, the oils can create damaging by-products. also switching oils constantly isn't to great for your engine i think i'll just spare the extra change.

Comment

Originally posted by barnicles
              I am on the west coast (or so) and dealers here quoted me $125.00 just to do the oil change. Cycle shops $110.00 while i waited. I know, pure highway robery. .
              Yes, pure highway robbery.
              It shouldn't run to more than $50 at the most to do an oil and filter change in a shop (think about it: 10 bolts for the lower fairing, one for the drain plug, one for the filter) -- it should be a 15 minute job for a professional mechanic.
              I haven't had a shop change my oil except in conjunction with a valve adjustment (15k service) since before the milleneum changed... and the only time they do my valve adjustments is if it's too pathetically hot & humid outside (no garage on my condo -- if it happens to be due in the middle of July in Florida, I'm willing to pony up the $$ to have it done instead of sweating to death).

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

oil change cost ? remember the oil can be from around $4-$10 quart if you add the filter another $15. if you want a HQ synth the parts alone can be about $50.

i won't complain about shop rates - the mechanic needs to be paid - plus all the supporting staff - not to mention insurance, rent, and utilities - none of which are cheap.

learn & do what you can. pay for the rest.

yes, i work for a repair shop ( electronic high precision weighing equipment ) and i'm pretty tired of people bitching about repair costs.
                We all need to make enough to pay our taxes !

tim

i just had to pay $1100 bucks for a full tune-up and to change the leaking oil lines on my blazer 4x4. i looked under the car at the oil cooler - transfer case - remote filter - with that v6 votex motor & said i ain't touching it ! 500 in parts & 600 labor - it was an easy choice.

Comment

all you gotta think about with repair costs is, that is their job. they don't do it for fun, they need to make money above and beyond costs to feed their family/themselves and pay bills and crap. for 110 i think i'll do it myself just because i know i can. when it comes to actually gettin inside that engine and fiddling around, i'll leave that to someone who knows

Comment

Working...
                  X