X

Bike suddenly won't start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike suddenly won't start

Ok, so this kind of came as a surprise to me.
    I went away for a week, and eager to ride again, I can no longer start my bike. It ran fine about 1 week ago. I did notice that the oil light came on when i turned to the key to the on position but this light went off as soon as the bike started; which had never been an issue prior. It is a '93 1100, 6500 miles. The oil level is good. Had been changed maybe 1500-2000 miles ago.
    It would be one thing if the starter was turning and I just couldn't get it running but I can hear the starter solenoid engage, the starter sounds like it is trying to turn but the engine won't turn over. When I took the cover off, I did smell a little gas, but I figured this was probably from it being covered and in the hot weather. I saw no leaks under the big and it does have fuel.
    I really have no idea why this suddenly happened. The bike seems to have been running fine for the last 2000 miles. The battery is not that old and I had not had any problems with it dying previously.
    Any ideas? It was fine when i left and covered during the past week, not that the weather was all that bad.

Okay , oil light thing is NORMAL . It WILL come on when the key is on , and go off USUALLY as soon as you start cranking .
    So it's not even turning over ? Hook up a multimeter and test voltage , then pull battery and look at level . Try to jump start it ? You can from a car as long as the car's NOT running . See what happens and report back ...
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Here are some addition findings:
      The bike does have enough battery power to work the power windshield, headlights, turn signals, etc.
      It rolls fine in neutral
      Putting it into a high gear, 5th, I was able to get the engine to turn over by rolling the bike. I did not try to push start it.
      I then tried the electric starter again. Engine turned over a couple of times then stopped again. Now it is back to the original state of not turning over when the starter is engaged. I do know that the starter is getting power because of the obvious current draw (dimming lights). I can hear the solenoid engage and the starter trying to turn.
      I am running out of daylight, but i can try to push start it with the help of a hill in the morning to see if that works.

I checked the battery with a multimeter. Voltage is 12.6V, Fuild level in the battery appears to be fine.

Comment

Well , I'd try cleaning the wire contact points next . It sure SOUNDS like the battery's dead . But crappy dirty wires and mounting points can make it do the same . If THAT don't do it , you may be in for a starter swap or maybe rebuild (worn brushes in the starter) .

Comment

I guess it will be a busy day tomorrow trying to figure this one out. I kind of hope it is the battery. Although the bike has sat for 2 weeks and then started fine.
          I'll clean/check the wires, then try a start. If that doesn't work i'll push start. I'm hoping that works. A battery is an easy things to replace. I've done enough starter motor work on my old '81 yamaha xj750 to do a rebuild. But definitely not looking to do that again, not that I have the time to either.

Comment

I guess it will be a busy day tomorrow trying to figure this one out. I kind of hope it is the battery. Although the bike has sat for 2 weeks and then started fine.
            I'll clean/check the wires, then try a start. If that doesn't work i'll push start. I'm hoping that works. A battery is an easy things to replace. I've done enough starter motor work on my old '81 yamaha xj750 to do a rebuild. But definitely not looking to do that again, not that I have the time to either. thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

You don't mean an VX750 do you ? Them damned old Viragos have a TERRIBLE starter design . I'm fighting with one right now .

Comment

12.6 volts is normally not enough to spin the starter fast enough to start the bike. Charge the battery, or jump-start it from a car battery and drive 20 minutes at 6k RPM (a low gear is fine). Then recheck the battery (needs to be above 12.7 at this point), take it out and set it on a shelf. Recheck the battery after 12 hours (whatever the last check was, it shouldn't have dropped at all, or it's definitely toast).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

update:
                  In the morning I went out and gave the bike some loving. The battery read 12.62 V.
                  Started right up. I ran it for a few minutes and haven't had a problem since. Perhaps something got flooded/gummed up...?

And yes, it is an XJ750, a seca. I would like to restore it, again, but school is getting in the way.

Comment

Working...
                  X