X

Hotgrips Installation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotgrips Installation

Got a pair of hotgrips heated grips for a belated Christmas present. Has anyone installed these on a 98+ Katana? Any tips before I start hacking away? Any ideas about where to tap into the electric system?

I live in Colorado and ride any time there isn't a lot of snow or ice, so I expect to make good use of the grips.

I would send Beekman a PM. He has them on his bike I think. I know he can help you out or speede can.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

There is a decent looking writeup here for a ZX6-R and here for a Concours including an automotive relay. Does this look right?

Comment

thats definately a useful gift u'll enjoy for a long time. congrats. I've never installed them, so I cant help much, but yeah, wait for beek and some others, they can fill ya in.

Comment

I have a set myself that I bought like 3-4 years ago. I just never got around to installing them. That link seems to explaint it all. I would ...and will go with that to do mine.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I would go the 30-amp auto relay route and power them directly from your battery.

You use the relay to make sure they have power when the bike is on, and tap the "switch" part of the relay off of a circuit that is only on when the bike is running or the ignition is in the on position.

Do you have the heat controller or just the high-low switch with the resistor?

I recommend the heat controller - check their website at www.hotgrips.com and look at the heatroller they have.

It says you can tap right off the power using the heatroller - but I would caution against this as you have to make sure you turn off the things when you are done riding.

Another option is using http://www.heat-troller.com/ the heat-troller. My bud Steve had one of these and it was slick.

Put the relay and associated wiring in a hobby electrical box available from radioshack. Run the wiring for your grips along with other wires along the frame.

Pick a nice spot for the dial. I've seen them on the instrument cluster, flat parts of the fairings under the bars (that's where mine is) and even seen a page with a heat-troller installed inside a switch housing (search on FJR1300 heat-troller - neat article).

If you have any questions just ask. I've installed a number of heated grips.
            Squidbusters.com Admin

Comment

Dang, falcn beat me to it.

I put Hot-Grips on my VFR when I had it. I'm the Steve who used the heat-troller. It worked really well. I went the 30amp relay route. I had the output of the relay run to a distribution block that ran power to the heat-troller and the GPS.
              -Steve

Comment

Thanks for the info! I've removed my old grips and have the new one epoxied. I had to take a break this afternoon for a job interview, but I picked up a relay and other assorted parts at Radio Shack. The Hotgrips are a bit longer than the stock grips. Did you put the bar end weights back on? Did you fabricate a spacer on the throttle side to keep the bar end from causing the throttle to stick?

Thanks again!

Comment

I used the supplied plastic spacers that came with the kit to make sure that the bar end weights would fit without touching the grips. I did this one both sides.

You should have received a pack of plastic spacers and a longer screw for each side.

Ryan
                  Squidbusters.com Admin

Comment

Spacers and a longer screw would have been great; but none came with my kit....

Now that I know what I need, I can get something working.

Comment

Call hotgrips!! They will send you out the required stuff, probably for free if you tell them what grip model you have and what bike you have. If not free then they will be mucho cheap.

did someone get these for you? I always try to order direct from hotgrips since they know what is needed for a complete installation.
                      Squidbusters.com Admin

Comment

I sent an e-mail to Hotgrips; I'll let you know how it turns out.

I did receive them as a Christmas gift from my youngest brother. He ordered them from a local dealership, not Hotgrips directly. He did give them the make/model, but I didn't receive any screws or spacers. We'll see if Hotgrips can supply them.

Comment

Originally posted by Selby
                          I sent an e-mail to Hotgrips; I'll let you know how it turns out.

I did receive them as a Christmas gift from my youngest brother. He ordered them from a local dealership, not Hotgrips directly. He did give them the make/model, but I didn't receive any screws or spacers. We'll see if Hotgrips can supply them.
                          Ahh, that's probably why. When you order from Hot-Grips, they have a pretty extensive process you go through. You get to choose the size (standard or longer, and if longer, how much so), you choose the spacer type you need, and choose the longer bolt type you need.
                          -Steve

Comment

Yeap. The owner is a very nice guy. When I wanted to order my first set through them and called he was very helpful. When I told him I had a VFR he told me "I do too, I know exactly what you need!"

I love mine - even on not so cold days in the 60's and 70's - just a little bit of heat makes it so nice...
                            Squidbusters.com Admin

Comment

I miss my heated grips. Might throw a set of dual-star elements on the Tuono...
                              -Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X