X

520 conversion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 520 conversion

what is everyones take on the 520 conversion on the kat chain??? do you think its bad with the weight of the bike or do you think it is an alright conversion??? CP im waiting for you to chime in just seeing if it is ok to do the conversion and not go through chains ultra fast??? thanks in advance guys, really appreciate the help.

Come some one tell me what the stock ratio is and after the 520 conv, too?
    thanks

Comment

ok a 520 conversion is a weaker change wont last as long and is really only good got racing lighter chain means bike spins up faster but its weaker and wears out faster and stock gearing its 15 front and 45 rear on a 750 and changing the chain size wont effect the sprocket tooth count but youll have to switch to 520 sprockets too cause stock size on a kat is 530

Comment

and incase he wasnt talking about a 750 for the 600
        's its 15-47 stock gearing. and you think if i did the 520 conversion a chain would atleast last a season??? with some minor wheeling????

Comment

yeah 1 season is normal

Comment

and does anyone know if the 98+ sprockets will all fit up through 05?? im not finding a whole lot of 05 ones, but alot of 03 and 04 sprockets, just seeing if they will still bolt up???

Comment

what kind of power difference will you feel with the conversion? anything wurthwhile?

Comment

Originally posted by smoubara
                what kind of power difference will you feel with the conversion? anything wurthwhile?

nothing to the average rider.

Comment

I can't see why saving a couple of ounces in favor of a lighter/weaker chain would be considered an "upgrade".
                  ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                  Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

wheelie

yeah the main reason I'm doing this is I'm trying to get the kat into wheelie from second gear while I'm riding just trying to make it possible hence the lighter chain question

Comment

Re: wheelie

Originally posted by icyhandlz
                      yeah the main reason I'm doing this is I'm trying to get the kat into wheelie from second gear while I'm riding just trying to make it possible hence the lighter chain question
                      It should be possible with the stock set up if you have the nuts to rail on it and pop the clutch. Just stand up on the pegs a touch, pop the clutch and lean back.

You may want to order new clutch plates and fork seals while you're on your shopping spree though.

Comment

wheelie

not possible with the stock setup I tried in second and can only get it up in first at low speeds I want to pop her up in seond like I used to with the 900 yes I know the power and all that hence y I'm combing the forums trying to see if the one down two up is enough and trying to get every little advantage I can hence the 520 conversion question. thanks for ur help I have wheelied all the time b4 on my old bike so I an do it just the kat won't come up in second I've tried slow speeds I've tried 40 mph an dumped it and nothing and even when I get it up in first I have to be going slow and it only comes up a foot or so

Comment

I have thought about the 520 chain but I don't think it's worth it.

I would go with a 530 chain and just change to light weight sprockets. Maybe a 49 for the rear. That will give You more power with the lighter sprockets and better gearing for wheelies while staying with a more durable 530 chain.
                          2006 GSX600F

Comment

Re: wheelie

Originally posted by icyhandlz
                            not possible with the stock setup I tried in second and can only get it up in first at low speeds I want to pop her up in seond like I used to with the 900 yes I know the power and all that hence y I'm combing the forums trying to see if the one down two up is enough and trying to get every little advantage I can hence the 520 conversion question. thanks for ur help I have wheelied all the time b4 on my old bike so I an do it just the kat won't come up in second I've tried slow speeds I've tried 40 mph an dumped it and nothing and even when I get it up in first I have to be going slow and it only comes up a foot or so

Your not doing it right then. I thought the same thing when I had my Kat 600 and took it to a popular spot where stunters practice and gave my Kat to a guy I know cuz he's never ridden a Katana before, and well he showed me that 2nd gear wheelies can be done with stock setup.

And by the way he said he loved the way the Katana feels as far as seating goes but that's about it.

Comment

the 520 chain is plenty strong and since the Kat doesn't have the HP it won't stretch do to the power of the bike. i would recomment it if you could find a sprocket that isn't made by Vortex.

tim

Comment

Working...
                              X