X

Heat Damage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Damage

just cause curious minds want to know, is there any way i can damage my oil/air cooled engine by riding it in outdoor tempratures around and above a 100 degrees

If you're moving 30mph+ I wouldn't worry too much. If it's something that you do more than a couple of times a year, you may want to think about buying an oil temp gauge, cyberpoet sells them. I can't imagine it costing more than $300 even if you had to pay a mechanic to install it for you. If you wanted to do it yourself, then time and about $100 for parts. (I know there are quite a few riders from NV, TX and AZ, they may be able to tell you more).

Comment

i often ride at and beyond the 100 degree mark. thank you texas heat. you might want to switch to a heavier oil weight, say 20w-50. that's what i throw in for the summer, and then back to 10w-40 for "winter" if you can even call it that. just don't sit and idle it too much, and try to avoid stop and go traffic.

Long Live the D

Comment

im in AZ so its hot here... i run 20-50 and havent had any problems. just try to keep the bike moving at all times. if you have to ride in stop and go traffic just make sure to keep in motion. if your at a redlight stop a few car lenghts back and slowly roll forwards. even if your rolling at walking speed it will help. if you have to sit still for more than like 5 minutes turn the bike off.
        03 katanika

Comment

not sure if they make them but you might look in to adding a fan to the cooler.

Comment

Cali bikes came with fans for the carbs (I think). Just make sure the oil is all toped up and you should be fine. The oil/air cooled engines are almost bullet proof.

Comment

Working...
            X