X

tightening headset bearings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tightening headset bearings

Does anyone know how to tighten the headset bearings on a 98+ 600? Is it just a matter or tightening the top nut or does it involve taking the top nut off, and the top tripple tree?

If your head bearings are loose that probabaly means that you need new bearings.

Did you check that the bolt is torqured properly (47 ft-lbs)?

Comment

if i remember there is a pretty elaborate steps needed to tighten and make sure they are set properly. i think you have to use a spring or fish scale by some sort and then torque. i'll check the manual when i get off in the morning and post it up. but that is for pre 98, look around for the post 98 manual you can download and it will be there for you.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

i didn;t find anything in the manual, is it just a matter of loosening the top tripple tree clamps on the tube and tightening the top nut until the slack is gone? The loosness doesn;t feel like anything serious, just like maybe a .025 increase in clearence.

Comment

here you go the steps from the manual i downloaded for the post98. same procedure as the pre98 just different specs i presume. Sorry for the crappy pics, i had to screen shot it and crop and save.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

KNOW THIS:

OEM bearings are pretty soft. Going over curves (say to a specific parking spot) or doing wheelies regularly will notch them. Failing to add fresh lubricant every few years will let them get rusty, because in hot weather the lube tends to drip down the steering head tube, leaving the bearings unprotected.

If the steering feels notchy anywhere in the movement, or gritty, replace the bearings. You may be able to get away with cleaning & repacking them if they are gritty, but new bearings are far cheaper than compromised steering.

My standard recommendation for replacements are All Balls brand bearings. I believe they offer needle-taper bearings in the stock size, which have far smoother operation and are less likely to get notches (not that they won't, just will take more).

If you can find a local bearing supplier, and give them your existing bearings & races to spec from, they can normally get you generic equivilents that will function as well as the OEM ones a bit cheaper (but not much -- bearings are generally cheap as it is).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X