X

still another carb problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still another carb problem

well i finally got parts for my carb floats(o-rings) i followed the thread on carb cleaning found my carbs to be dirty. the main jets were totally blocked , and the tubes on the floats had blockage also. put everything back together , now i have a leak on one of the float bowls and also the slider is sticking on that same carb.bike sounds like it is only running on 3 cyl. checked for spark ok. had it started for a couple minutes and only 3 of the 4 header pipes got hot. which leads me to beleive it only runs on 3 cyl. please get back to me iwould like to ride this year , since its been almost two years since this bike has seen the road.

I had a similar problem just yesterday after putting my bike back together. Have you taken the tops of the carb off again and made sure that the spring didn't get all balled up when you put it back together? My slider was moving up about 1/4 of the way, then getting stuck and wouldn't drop down properly. Man was that a biatch to figure out. After playing with the choke cable, throttle adjustment, idle adjustment I realized the slider was getting caught, opened it up and the spring was all balled up. I just slid the slider up and down a few times to make sure it wasn't catching in the carb and the bike ran like a dream afterwards.

Comment

i didn't check to see if the spring is hanging up , but i will try that next.also when i found one slider to be stuckdown it was really hard to slide back up . when i got it to slide again it doesn't seem to come back down all the way. is this the same thing that happened to you?

Comment

Originally posted by diesel
        i didn't check to see if the spring is hanging up , but i will try that next.also when i found one slider to be stuckdown it was really hard to slide back up . when i got it to slide again it doesn't seem to come back down all the way. is this the same thing that happened to you?
        With me, it felt like it was catching on something (like if it was cocked at an angle), it would slide up about 1/3 of the way, then hang a little, or feel like it was gummed up when I let it go. Gravity is going to be working against it when it's not running, when it's running, there's air running under it and will make it stay up, at least that's what happened on my bike. When everything was cold, it would work ok, the idle would be at about 1100-1300. If i prodded the trottle it would rev properly but then hang at about 2200 and occasionally drop down, sometimes to 1200 or so, sometimes to 1700, most of the time it was hanging at 2200. For the hour it takes to take it apart, look at it and then maybe move on towards another solution, i'd say it's worth taking a peek. You can't break anything just taking the top off the carb, you don't even need to take the airbox off.

Comment

Working...
        X