X

went down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• went down

I was on a group ride today and had to lay the bike down to avoid running over another downed rider in front of me......I got slowed down enough that the persons's back tire just went through my windshield.....some scrapes on the right side but that looks like it.....the one big question I have is should I change the oil in case any gas got into it........the bike was only down for a few seconds and afterwards it fired up after only a couple tries.......any help is appreciated.......

You shouldn't have to, but you want to do a few things:

1. Watch your oil level. If it climbs, then you've got a stuck carb float that needs to be addressed.

2. Drain & wipe-out your airbox in about 100 miles, then check it again 100 miles after that -- if the second time there's any significant amount of fluid, you probably have a stuck float as well (but it's evaporating off the excess fuel fast enough that it's not changing the oil level).

3. Accelerate your next oil change. If you're due in 1k miles, do it in a few hundred.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks a lot for the quick response.......

Comment

interesting - normaly a downed rider isn't in the lane, but in the future you may want to watch your following distance.

tim

Comment

actually there was nothing wrong with my following distance........what was wrong was the leader of the group led us around a blind corner that without any signs turned from pavement to gravel......the rider in front of me either hit some soft gravel or panicked and hit the brakes too hard and went down in front of me.......being as it was gravel swerving was not really an option so all I could do was slow down as best as I could and then lay the bike down before riding over top of the other bike and rider......

Comment

sounds like a shitty leader...he should have mentioned to the group the whereabouts of your riding plan and if there was going to be able dangerous/semi-dangerous roads.

Comment

Kudos to you for thinking of another rider's safety ahead of your own bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Knucklehead
                Kudos to you for thinking of another rider's safety ahead of your own bike.
                +1
                Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

That was honorable for you to put the safety of your fellow riders ahead of your bike and yours. And you can bet I'd be saying something to that so called leader.
                  "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."
                  http://www.putfile.com/91750frider/images/6658

Comment

Working...
                  X