X

87 octane vs 93?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 octane vs 93?

Have a new 2006 750 katana. I noticed that I could hear a tick in the motor while running low RPM. I was running 87 octane. My dad said it was spark knock. So I went up to 89 octane. Much better. Has anyone else noticed this in their bikes. I think I will try 93 octane see how much better that will be.
    Nice Kat!

If you're getting spark knock on 87 octane, change gas stations and try it again. It may have to do with the amount of ethanol/methanol in the fuel, or old/crappy mix.

Generally, high-detergent name-brand 87 octane should give you more power and less problems than 89 octane no-name brand. If you run into problems with 87, especially on a bike as new as yours, something is wrong with the fuel they're selling you.

See related threads here:

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber

You sure know your stuff. Iv'e read alot of stuff on here and you sure are sharp. I think you are right about the gas stations. I will check into it and give it a try. Thanks for all the info that you provided. I'm just a skid mark you know.
      Nice Kat!

Comment

wow

Looks like I'm a chicken strip now!
        Nice Kat!

Comment

Well I tried 83 and 89 in my Kat but I had horrible performance so I had to start running 91. Now that one of the gas stations here is stocking 99 and 101 I'm running 101 octane awesome results. But I have a 1mm over bore custom built 771 in there sporting 13:1 compression so that *might* make a difference.

Comment

just maybe
            You're Welcome,
            - The Social Invalid

Comment

You might also be in too high of a gear and bogging the motor upon acceleration.

Comment

On my 03 Kat, I do notice a difference from 87 to 89 octane. But nothing from 89 to 91 and I have heard that it is just wasting money anyways (read it here).

Petro Canada 89 octane for me.

Comment

Working...
                X