X

Replacement of gears in trans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement of gears in trans

2nd gear went out of my 93 750 about a month ago and I finally got around to tearing it down and got to the trany. I am going to obviously replace 2nd gear and the opposing 2nd gear. Everything looks ok and it is only at 15,000 miles, should i replace anything else in the transmission, or is there anything else I should do before I put it together

Along with those two gears, I also had to replace the shift fork in mine, it had obvious signs of wear. I put new clutch friction plates in because one was broken. The clutch hub was also worn out where the steel plates engage it. Don't forget all the rubber shaft seals. Mine's got over 30000 on it.

Comment

you should ALWAYS chnage gears as a pair. Second gear is interlocking with another one (don't remember exactly which one) and if one is worn, the other is worn too (the dogs usually) Take a close look at the shift barrel. If the shif fotk is bent, then the path in the shift barrel could be damaged too. This is what was causing my second gear to shift out into neutral on my bike). This barrel (exact name is cam gear I think) costs around 100$. And if you tranny is bad and plates are damaged that much after 15 000 miles, I would take a much time as i can to inspect all other things down there.
      Change the spring that is retaining the cam gear. The more is it stiff (new) the more the gears will stay in place.

If you have any question,. send a PM, Ill be glad to help you if I can, since i've completely rebuilt my tranny this winter)

Good luck !
      Lp

Comment

Working...
      X