X

Bike went down, won't start now???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike went down, won't start now???

I had a very minor incident yesterday on a VERY slick rainy road. Low sided the bike on the left, thankfully no injuries other than a scraped elbow, and no major *apparent* damage to the bike.

I have some scrapes on the front fairing, it broke the clutch lever, but other than that, it doesn't appear to be a huge problem. However, I can't get the electric starter to engage... I pull the clutch cable tight (using pliers because the lever was broken), the bike is in nuetral, (tire spins, light on, etc), but it won't do ANYTHING. No clicking, nothing at all.

I haven't pulled the fairings yet, but do you guys have any suggestions for what I might be looking for here? It didn't really hit hard enough that I would think it would have damaged anything inside the fairings, it barely hurt them...

I'm going to put the stock clutch lever on there tomorrow, and want to get it back up and running, so any thoughts on fixing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Unless 98+'s are different, the switch for the bike to know the clutch is pulled in is in the handle perch. Pulling the cable won't help any.

Maybe a 98+ owner will chime in and confirm.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I just solved my own clutch problems a few days ago. Apparently, the clutch position switch needs to be hit when you're starting up - it can't be bypassed just by being in neutral.

A lot of people here suggest jumping the starter solenoid, though I can't seem to locate the relay on my GSX600F. (little black box connected near the battery with a rubber cap?) If it clicks, that means everything's fine(I think); it's just something's breaking the ignition circuit. Search the mechanics section; someone had a nice diagram of it.

The way I solved it was to move the fuel tank a bit, and follow the sensor cable under the tank. It's the little electrical cable that's mounted near the end of the clutch by two screws. It should normally be hit by a little table on the clutch. Just follow it to two disconnects (I cut open the plastic sheaths) and I just plugged the circuit together. Quick and dirty fix, but I needed to get my bike off the street. Hope you have luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiox
        A lot of people here suggest jumping the starter solenoid, though I can't seem to locate the relay on my GSX600F. (little black box connected near the battery with a rubber cap?)
        Should be a little round thingy with 2 wires coming out of it mounted to or near the battery box . Might have to remove some plastic if you're not sure what you're looking for ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

THanks for the replies, I didn't realize there was a little switch in there and hadn't noticed it on the side of the road. I reinstalled the stock lever and ordered the new one today.

A little bit of sanding and paint, a new pair of foot pegs, and a week for the scrapes to heal, and it will be like this never even happened.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Working...
          X