oil leak 2005 GSX750F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak 2005 GSX750F

Hi Guys need some advice here.
    Had a small spill at the weekend, minor cosmetic damage. The bit that worries me is the small amounts of oil dripping from the Right hand engine cover. To my knowledge this is the stator cover, should there be oil in this part or is it just from the spill?
    If so can I remove cover and clean unwanted oil from here?

You learned advice please....
    Dave

www.netrider.net.au
    www.austouring.com

If the cover is broken (penetrated or cracked), repair or replace it.

There are two covers on the right side -- the timing cover (furthest forward) and the main cover (the one with the oil level window). Which one is it?

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It'll be the timing cover . Buy some JB Weld and brake cleaner and fix it .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys.
        Looks like the Timing cover is coming off asap for a inspection as no cracks are visible externally.
        Dave

www.netrider.net.au
        www.austouring.com

Comment

I know with my bike (98) the timing cover gasket ripped when I had to do the valve adjustment. I was able to get another one from the local dealership for cheap, but because there's only a light mist of oil in there, I bet people have just re-used a broken paper gasket in there (or RTV-seal).
          Since it fell on the right hand side, I'd bet oil poured into that area, and what's leaking out is the oil that was below the hole entering the crankcase once you stood the bike back up. I'd just pull of the cover, clean it up as best you can and re-RTV or gasket the cover again. You should be good as new.

Comment

I have the same problem as Jafu. From what I found at
            CrotchRocket.com is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

(type in the bike...mine is a 1996 Suzuki GSX 600F) and look up your parts in the exploded diagram. That cover has 3 names so far. You guys call it the "Timing Cover", the manuel that is for download on this site says it is a "Signal Generator Cover" and that website says(under crackcase cover) it is a "Starter Gear Cover". So I ask which one is it? I included pics of mine so it can be determined more easily. Here you go:

Comment

I was going to try and use JB Weld, but that was used on it before I got the bike and it still leaked. My brother has a tig welder and I will try to have him fix it that way tomorrow, but it still needs a gasket. I'd rather have a gasket then worry about RTV seal coming off while on the highway or something!! I'll try and post pics of the finished welding job tomorrow, but I also need to get a new Oil Filter before I can start the bike and I'll have to wait till July 5th cause of the holiday. If anyone has any better ideas, please share!! Thanks!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your spill, Jafu.

Trying to keep up with a certain SV1000, were we?!!!
                "If they think you're crude, go technical. If they think you're technical, go crude."

Comment

Does anyone know if the chamber to the left (the clutch case) and the case leaking link together for oil to get in it? I can't find it in the haynes manual.

Comment

Originally posted by 96gsxohio
                    That cover has 3 names so far. You guys call it the "Timing Cover", the manuel that is for download on this site says it is a "Signal Generator Cover" and that website says(under crackcase cover) it is a "Starter Gear Cover". So I ask which one is it?
                    Informally, it's the timing cover (short for timing signal cover, since the timing signal which dictates when the spark occurs falls underneath it). The official suzuki name is "Signal Generator Cover" (the signal generated is that same timing signal I'm talking about). I have never heard it called the starter gear cover -- in part because the starter gear is on the opposite side of the bike.

There are a couple aftermarket replacements that are available that are stronger/thicker to help prevent failures should you drop it again (NRC are highly though of; there's also covers from FactoryPro among others). The OEM cover from Suzuki isn't that highly priced either, at something like $35 last time I priced that one.

As for your question about interconnections between that and the next cover over -- there is a connection through the main sump, but not a direct connection between the edges of the two that I know about.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

And RTV will do ya just fine . I've used it instead of a gasket many times , and it's been fine . But you might wanna make sure you get the high-temp red stuff . I've heard bad things about some of the others ...
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        That cover has 3 names so far. You guys call it the "Timing Cover", the manuel that is for download on this site says it is a "Signal Generator Cover" and that website says(under crackcase cover) it is a "Starter Gear Cover". So I ask which one is it?
                        Informally, it's the timing cover (short for timing signal cover, since the timing signal which dictates when the spark occurs falls underneath it). The official suzuki name is "Signal Generator Cover" (the signal generated is that same timing signal I'm talking about). I have never heard it called the starter gear cover -- in part because the starter gear is on the opposite side of the bike.

There are a couple aftermarket replacements that are available that are stronger/thicker to help prevent failures should you drop it again (NRC are highly though of; there's also covers from FactoryPro among others). The OEM cover from Suzuki isn't that highly priced either, at something like $35 last time I priced that one.

As for your question about interconnections between that and the next cover over -- there is a connection through the main sump, but not a direct connection between the edges of the two that I know about.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Thank you sir for your help. I had my brother tig weld the inside crack and I used JB weld on the outside which sealed it just fine. I also used RTV Copper with a 700 Degree F temp to seal it and it works great. The new problem I have is a rough idle that stalls the bike everytime its off choke. I have to keep it on 4,000 - 5,000 rpm just to keep it from stalling in 1st gear. I tried messing with the thumb screw, but which way is idle up and which is idle down? It might be a small air leak in the clamps of my muffler, I'll have to double check that.

Comment

Thank you sir for your help. I had my brother tig weld the inside crack and I used JB weld on the outside which sealed it just fine. I also used RTV Copper with a 700 Degree F temp to seal it and it works great. The new problem I have is a rough idle that stalls the bike everytime its off choke. I have to keep it on 4,000 - 5,000 rpm just to keep it from stalling in 1st gear. I tried messing with the thumb screw, but which way is idle up and which is idle down? It might be a small air leak in the clamps of my muffler, I'll have to double check that.
                          Have you been into your carbs yet? Sounds like something else got knocked loose, such as a vacuum hose (drain hose to the airbox for example), or a float valve in the carbs got swacked hard enough to get stuck open.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanx again guys for the advice.
                            It is the timing case cover as shown in the photos. Fortunately no cracks just not tight against the gasket. The oil was, as said slung in by the bike laying on its side.
                            Removed Cover, cleaned out all oil traces and made a new gasket, and installed. No Leaks so far, many Km's covered since.

Grommit, no that SV1000 was not involved, mind you her reaction to the cause would have been different. (violent)

By the way, I'd love to have the access to aftermarket parts you have here in Oz.
                            Dave

www.netrider.net.au
                            www.austouring.com

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              CyberPoet, maybe you can help me out.

Is there supposed to a significant amount of oil under the Pulse Generator Cover?

I removed the Pulse Generator Coil Cover of my 2003 GSX750F while adjusting the valves. The parts store not being open on Sunday I thought I would test the results by starting the bike without the cover on, thinking the cover was just to keep dirt out. I dumped quite a bit of oil (half a quart?) in the driveway without noticing in the thirty seconds I spent adjusting the idle screw (I had cleaned the carbs at the same time). Should I be worried about the quantity of oil coming from this location?

In a separate issue, it appears that the pulse generator coil itself has gotten very hot in the past as the insulation around it has melted and dripped down. This seems worrisome to me also, though apart from slowly worsening ability to idle which prompted the valve and carb work the bike has been running fine.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might be able to offer.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X