X

Bubbly Yoshi?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubbly Yoshi?

Hello. I recently installed a yosh slip-on on my '01 600. Everything else is stock. I was gotting pops and an occasional bang or two on
    deceleration. From my readings here, I gathered that it was lean and I richened carbs. I took the A/F mixture screw from 2-1/2 to 3, and
    then to 3-1/2 turns out. It still made popping and blapping sounds at 3 turns. At 3-1/2 turns, It doesn't seem to make the popping sounds,
    but it still sounds bubbly when I close the throttle while in gear, and almost like coughing kind of bubbly when I close throttle from a
    higher RPM. I'm going to make a jump and guess that fuel combusting in the headers or mid-pipe is a bad thing, and should be fixed. But I'm
    hesitant to make it any richer, because being too rich sounds worse. Anyways, I guess my question is, can I expect the aftermarket slip-ons
    to make a bubbling sound even when they're are tuned correctly? Or am I still lean? Am I going to need to mess with the needles? I couldn't
    decipher the answer from other posts. Power through the RPM range seems normal too. I guess I'll also mention that I didn't put the mid-
    pipe gasket in the collecter. But it doesn't seem to be leaking, so I didn't think it would matter. I'm also not getting any leaks from
    anywhere else, as near as I can tell. Thanks for any replies.

If you went a full turn out and it didn't cure the issue, go back to stock (1-5/8th turns to 2 turns).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sorry if I'm a little slow here. CP, I turned the A/F screws 1-7/8 of the way out. It ran worse than it ever has. I've worked my way out from there, (taking off the carbs more times than I remember), and today I'm at 3-1/2 turns out. It isn't too much different than 3 turns, but it's the best I've gotten so far. It idles correctly, doesn't seem to be running hot, and, well, sounds good, feels good. But I would like to get something spelled out for me, as the only place I've found the information is a line from Trinc. I couldn't even find it in the service manual. Maybe I'm blind. Is a more rich mix clockwise or counter-clockwise? My observations lead me to believe that it's counter-clockwise, screwing out. Trinc's line said as much. A local bike mechanic is adamant that it's the opposite, and that every carb brand is the same direction. Maybe he's looking at it from the top. In any case, I feel kinda funny not knowing which is which for sure, even though I think that I have it at the right position. I'm feel pretty sure the mechanic is wrong, and he's supposed to be the professional.

Comment

With the carbs turned upside down, it's counterclockwise to increase the flow, clockwise to decrease the flow, with counts being 360 degrees = 1 full turn (some people accidentally count 180 degrees as a turn), starting at the point that the screw barely seats against the rubber seal under it (not screwed down gorilla-tight!).

With a stock jetkit, 2-3/8th turns is the max you should use in any case with the OEM jets (after that, you get larger jets instead). If you've got 3-1/2 turns and it's still running well, it tells me that either your passages are partially clogged or there's another brand of jetkit in the bike. At this point, I'm going to tell you to clean the carbs thoroughly, reset them to stock, and seriously consider visiting someone with a dyno to get a valid fuel-air reading across the entire RPM range (figure $25 - $35 if they just run it up on the dyno and don't alter the jetting at all).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Alright. Thanks CP. No, it is in fact the stock jet kit. And I have indeed been counting turns as 360 deg.. So, I guess I'll be cleaning the carbs tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X