X

Slip on gasket?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip on gasket?

I recently purchased a slip on from ebay and I would like to know if there is a gasket that I need for the end of the mid pipe to make it snug?

thanks

There's a gasket at the collector to the midpipe, a standard Suzuki part, runs about $20. Depending on the brand of exhaust, there may also be a gasket for the midpipe to exhaust cannister (contact the manufacturer -- they vary by brand).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I see the old gasket still on the stock muffler. seeing as how this is a 98 it has prolly been on there since then. is there a way to take the old one off or do I just need to buy a new one.

Comment

OK, since it's on the stock muffler, you must be talking about the collector gasket. You can try to get it off, but often they get ruined in the process, because it's a soft metal lip with a bunch of copper (brass? steel?) wool formed into shape under it. You have nothing to loose by trying, but realize that you may end up having to get a replacement. Best way to knock it off without damaging it that I can think of would be to take a piece of PVC the size of the midpipe (or just a hair over), cut it in half lengthwise, then use one half to tap the gasket off gently, rotating the PVC around the midpipe as you tap.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

do you know of any substitute i could use in place of this gasket as it will take about a week to get that part into my local dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by vdubill
            do you know of any substitute i could use in place of this gasket as it will take about a week to get that part into my local dealer.
            No.

Because it's a metric size, I am not familiar with any replacement that will work suitably (you could putty it up, but I wouldn't recommend it). Far easier to use due diligence and care in removing the original one.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Tried the pvc and it did not go to well. I finally got fed up and got a flat head screw driver and a mallet and started wedging(chiseling) the sd underneath the gasket lil by lil all around the pipe. Eventually I got it about halfway down all around the pipe and it started to come loose. I was either going to ruin it or get it off and it came off in pretty good shape. I put it on the slip on and it is running fine. The shop was going to take too long and I did not want to spend $20 on a new one when i had this perfectly good one right here. Man, desperation will come up with all kinds of creative ideas.

thanks for the suggestions

Comment

Working...
              X