X

Idles too high?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idles too high?

My bike was running fine all day and I did not run it anymore than any other trip, I actually ran it less. So on a straight stretch I throttled hard and brought it to about 70 MPH for a quick second. At the stop sign alittle while after that my bike was idleling very high ( my tach doesnt work so it was by ear). This has never happened. So I got to my desired spot and let it cool off for a couple hours. I started it up to leave and it was fine just like always then on the ride home I was going slow about 40 MPH. When I got home it was Idleing super high again and would not slow down even while sitting. I have no clue why this is happening did I break something while I throttled it that hard maybe? Any help would be great. Thanks
    Project Katana

1998 Katana 600

maybe vaccume line fell off
    maybe bad gas
    maybe carbs
    maybe need a valve adjustment
    have you tried to reset the idle?
    i am not to pro here,but i just thought i would throw these out there.good luck

Comment

Since you didn't claim to make any mechanical changes, and the bike acts normal when restarted cold, that narrows it down in my mind to two basic possibilites on a '98:

1. The engine was running hot. Because fuel vaporizes easier and more fully in a hot engine than a cold one, and more vaporized fuel in the detonation cycle means there is more vacuum on the next intake cycle, idle on a very hot engine is usually 200 to 300 RPM higher than on a cool engine (the difference isn't usually that extreme in colder weather, where the engine isn't as likely to get quite as hot).
      Simple solution: reach down to the idle adjustment knob next to your left knee (from where you sit on the bike) at a traffic light and twist it to reduce the idle to 1250 RPM or so -- which is where the hot idle should be on the bike. If you can't tell where 1250 is because of your tach not working, consider replacing the gauges with an used set off eBay or from someone here who has a set.

2. The throttle cables are sticking due to lack of lubrication, being set too tight, or cable damages (rust/cable breaking in the sheath).
      TEST: With the engine off, twist the throttle and then release it by removing your hand. You should hear a distinctive snap as the throttle closes the butterflies. If not, time to adjust, lube and/or replace your throttle cables (there are two on your bike).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

^^ Thanks to the both of you. Atleast now I know where to start. Thanks
        Project Katana

1998 Katana 600

Comment

we are hear to help.come back if you need more help.

Comment

Working...
          X