intresting turbo bike setup

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intresting turbo bike setup

saw this...

very intresting... only saw one dyno on the r6... and the before i call BS on... but still a neat concept... there is a company using similar stuff on trucks and the newer F-body

resonable price IMHO considering it includes instalation and all that jazz...

There's not enough info given on their site for me to reasonably evaluate that R6 output -- it's just barely possible that he really is getting that power-level out of the bike (but the flip-side would be that reliability would fly right out the door -- the stock OEM pistons & other engine components are not designed to handle 100% increase in power output and heat).
    EDIT: I call BS on the first Dyno run -- a stock R6 should be around 104 - 106 HP...

The real confusion I have is over where the turbo is placed -- under the tail? What, are they sucking their fresh air in at the tail (next to the exhaust pipe?) and moving it forward through the bike to the intakes? Definitely different, but I can see real potential issues with that placement (sticking the air filter in a low-pressure zone during high-speed movement, running the intake air plenums parallel to the exhaust back towards the engine, water intrusion issues during rain as well as temperature differencials if water got into the turbo when hot [ok, they are in Utah], etc). If they paired it up with a custom-cowl solution that scooped air from just forward of the widest part of the bike, it would make better sense.

Hmmmm...
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yup i call absolute BS on the before dyno...

good point on the low pressure point for the intake.

i wish they had more info but it's an intresting looking system...

Comment

i have seen some companies that make this remote mounted turbo setup for trucks and such. I have seen one put it under the bed behind the truck tires on a toyota tacoma.........i think this is absolutely a waste of money, time and well anything else. I think they run insane amounts of boost and it only ends up making 6 lbs as it goes through the engine. I could not imagine having to run 10+ feet of oil lines, 10+ feet of water lines and 20+ feet of coolant lines to a turbo mounted on the back of a car. Also the oil return usually won't work, I know alot of them has to be a drop back into the engine, where gravity can move the oil, so need straight shot. Also with mounting under car or whatever mud, water or any debree will kill that turbo in a heart beat. I bet that pillion seat will be hot as crap after a few minutes of riding.

Also i always thought turbos needed to be as close to the engine as possible to be effective. but man i love turbo's and wish they were on everything.

i just noticed that it doesn't say it comes with a blow off valve or bypass valve......by by turbo

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

yes idealy putting the turbo as close to the exhaust will yeild more potential energy...

on the car systems i'm pretty sure they use a closed oil system where the turbo doesn't use the engine oil... while not ideal form what i've seen it works fairly well in auto applications.

Comment

Originally posted by donalson
            yes idealy putting the turbo as close to the exhaust will yeild more potential energy...

on the car systems i'm pretty sure they use a closed oil system where the turbo doesn't use the engine oil... while not ideal form what i've seen it works fairly well in auto applications.
            Yep, the turbos have their own oil usually in the rear-mounted setups. Seem to be real popular for Lincoln LS owners....

You'd think the turbo lag would be outrageous with the turbo mounted so far back, with so much piping in between.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484
              You'd think the turbo lag would be outrageous with the turbo mounted so far back, with so much piping in between.
              Actually, I would think turbo lag would be minimized because of how long the pressurized container is (i.e. - total volume of the intake ducting from the Turbo to the cylinder) -- they could keep the pressure up the whole time once it actually built up pressure, rather than having to wait for the turbo to spool back up to get any pressure at the cylinder.

Maybe CrazyMofo will stick his head in and comment...

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

what i call is a PISS-POOR effort on their part.
                sure it may spool up (eventually) but they are just to damn lazy to engineer a proper set up.

part throttle response would be crap, off boost respose would also be affected, and it would be a pig to ride.

having a turbo so far back in the exhaust system is just silly and a waste of time. the exhaust gasses would have gone practicly cold, and become slow moving, expanded and pretty much useless in making a decent sized turbo spin hard. put your hand behind your slip on when the engines running, gasses will be near cold. grab the header and you'll prolly cry.

turbo's love HOT exhaust gasses, cos they are moving so much faster, and being fresh out of the head, the gasses would move at a great rate of knots faster then the cold exhaust gasses. the faster moving gas slips thru the turbo faster, spins and then exits the turbo faster, thus aiding in drawing the next gas hit, harder into the turbo. helping in faster spool time.

granted ultimate boost pressue will be the same in turbo set ups like in the link or closer to the cylinder head. but least with a proper set up, it'll spool harder earlier and more consistantly.

for those interested. in a turbo manifold, have at least 50mm straight tube out of the head, before any bends, and roughly 300mm long for each exhaust runner from head to turbo is near optimum.

on another note, i wonder if they bothered to fit a swirl eliminater from the compressor outlet, if they didnt i would hate to see the amount of airflow difference from cylinder 1 to cylinder 4 would be!

cheers.joe.

Comment

i would like turbo on my bike, can u put it on a katana.

Comment

you can boost anything... IMHO the biggest issue w/ boosting the KAT would be working around the carbies...

Comment

I'm toying with the idea but it would be kind of a PITA to develop a custom intake manifold for the Kat - there just isn't a lot of room down there - it would require some interesting plumbing - just a bit tricky. I know of at least two other Kats out there that have done it.

The mounting for the turbo itself wouldn't be all that hard.
                      ---Jeff (Long Beach Represent!)

'99 Katana 750 (Metallic Space Blue / Matte Silky Gray Metallic)
                      Plus some cars.

"Never Break More than You Fix..."

Comment

Actually they dont use closed oil systems, I have seen a new Vette that had twin turbos at the back, no lag, and an almost %50 increase in horsepower, they use a pump to circulate engine oil. it was a pretty slick setup...

Comment

Working...
                        X