X

Suzuki SACS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki SACS

Can anyone explain the benefits or (not) of the Suzuki Advanced Cooling System over a water cooled engine? I'm selling my Kat and buying a dual sport. I'm looking at the Suzuki DR650 and the Kawasaki KLR650. the concern I have is in heavy traffic the Kawasaki is water cooled, therefore less likely to overheat, but the Suzuki is air oil cooled like our Kat's. Anyones 2 cents worth would be appreciated.
    Scott

Re: Suzuki SACS

Bottom line

Oil Cooled:
    Fewer things to go wrong, lower total weight, higher reliability, but lower total power output. Not really capable of sitting in one spot running indefinitely without overheating.
    Worst case scenario: misfires and dodgy engine until everything cools down.

Water cooled:
    Higher power output, weight and complexity penalty, usually engineered to be able to sit in one place at idle without overheating.
    Worst case scenario: warped heads if water turns to steam.

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10071 has most of the answers...

Now, having said that:
    The KLR is a well-known, well-supported (lots of add-ons available) superb performer in a role of long-range on-/off-road tourer/commuter, and if I had to cross Mongolia (or just the unpaved portions of Idaho) on a bike other than a BMW GS series, the KLR would be my first choice.

The KLR is also being shipped in a diesel version (M1030M1) for the military, by a company called Haynes Diversified Technologies, and as soon as they finish getting all the military orders out, they will be offering a version to the civilian market as well. That would my preference out of the bikes you listed (& variations of them).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i just about bought a klr650, but found the kat and fell in love, price was a big factor in the process. At the time suzuki didn't have a new 650 on the market and the 400 was more than the klr. I am glad i didn't get the klr because a dual sport in wv with all these gravel roads and pipelines off the main roads, well i would be in jail for trespassing or something. a great touring bike, big enough not to get thrown to much around on the highway, big enough for interstate speeds and wide enough so it is comfortable, pretty large bike but i have a short inseam. i am pretty sure it has like a 6.5 gallon fuel tank and has over 300 mile touring on a tank, almost wish i would have got it.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

The only downside to the KLR is that it really isn't comfy riding a lot of miles of interstate riding at typical interstate speeds (not it's forte, at least on the stock tires).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks guys for the feedback, it's much appreciated.
          Scott

Comment

Working...
          X