X

Clutch wont fully disengage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch wont fully disengage

Ok so my buddies clutch just will not fully disengage.

He has a pre98 600 and said he did a clutch job recently and we just put on a new cable today.

It doesnt matter how much you tighten the cable it still will walk forward while in gear and is impossible to shift into neutral while sitting still.

He said it goes away after its warmed up but that doesnt mean the problems gone and im sure something is bad or missing or whatever.

I think he mentioned missing springs in the clutch assembly somewhere ????

Any ideas?

I think you have already mentioned the problem. If there are springs missing in the clutch, it won't work right.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

My Kat does that to. It wants to walk forward alittle. I've try messing around with the cable tightness and doesn't seem to do much.

Comment

I also have a Pre98 Kat and mine was also doing this. Did you soak the clutch in oil before you installed it? Mine i was not able to get into neutral either. My mechanic said my clutch was black right to the last plate. If you didnt soak the clutch you might have burnt it out already... or theres something with the springs. I would pull it off again and take a closer look at it.. Maybe you got a new faulty clutch?
        If your not outta control, your not in control!!!

Comment

I am having the same issues. Take everything back apart and make sure there are no deep indentions in the clutch basket. If you have these then you will have to replace the outter, and inner hub. I am doing that right now, just waiting on parts. There is also a little set screw on the side of the sprocket cover that adjusts the amount of tension that is on the push rod. You have to run the cable adjustment all the way in to create slack on the cover and at the lever. Then you will want to loosen the lock nut and back the screw off. Then you will turn the screw in until you feel resistance, Once you feel this back it off a 1/4 to 1/2 turn, Then while holding the screw tighten the lock nut down. Then do your adjustments on the sprocket cover which is your coarse adjustment and the lever is your fine adjustment. It could also be the push rod inside the bike which is behind the inner hub. Hope this helps you out some. FYI I could not roll my bike in gear motor off clutch pulled in. Make sure your bike is able to do this.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
          X