X

Titanium bolt and nut supplier?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium bolt and nut supplier?

Anyone know where to get titanium nuts and bolts, on a small scale? Most suppliers I found on line don't seem to have prices shown and they seem to cater to larger purchasers.

Also, not considering the added costs, are titanium bolts that much lighter and stronger than either AN or grade A bolts (and therefore better)? I haven't found any specific data on ti bolts (just on Ti in general, but I've seen a few instances of better UTS numbers quoted, plus a weight savings of around 40% compared to the same size steel bolt. Is that true?

And this isn't for the bike unforunately, its for the school racecar.....

You could always get a few metrics made as "extras". You wouldn't want them to go to waste after all.
    AMA member # 224227

Comment

You are right about suppliers wanting you to buy in quanity. Check with the local nut and bolt supplier?
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

We usually buy our nuts and bolts from aircraft spruce, but I dont think they have Ti bolts. I should check.

hehe, we need to get some metric sizes if possible, we do have an R6 engine that needs some work and they use metric bolts too.....

Comment

Alriclam
          I left a long winded replay over at the other site.
          In the end I neglected to say "nope I don't know where to get them."
          I'm really surprised race supplys don't carry them.
          Closest I've seen are the one for case covers. But those are specific and geared for squids :P

Comment

Looks like tastynuts.com is a good starting place. I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Thanks!

Comment

there are places that specialize in that stuff.

look in the yellow pages under FASTENERS

as for strength....it depends on the GRADE of bolt....depends on how many to add up to a substantial weight saving to make it cost effective....just get a lighter driver

Comment

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

go here and type in titanium nuts in search box. They have them.
                Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

Hot, I never thought to look at McMaster-Carr. Sweet, the prices are reasonable. Now just to order up a few to measure the weight difference between the AN counterparts we're using right now.

Comment

Originally posted by alriclam
                    Hot, I never thought to look at McMaster-Carr. Sweet, the prices are reasonable. Now just to order up a few to measure the weight difference between the AN counterparts we're using right now.
                    Weight should be about the same as aluminum. I would venture to guess about half of what the steel ones are.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                    X