Battery problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kooch80
    ok CP with the meter on the same setting 200ma it measured at 0.4
    0.4 milliamps leak-over with nothing on the bike that should NOT be consuming any power at that instant... That's not enough IMHO to be killing your battery, but enough to imply that there just might be a short somewhere that isn't currently in contact... It's an acceptable loss rate in general.

Still getting just the clicking on trying to start it the next day? Then it's time to pursue the wiring loom from the starter relay to the starter itself and the ground strap from the starter to the frame or battery. The clicking noise implies the starter relay is kicking over (which means the relay should be good and the starter button should be good). The question then becomes why isn't the power (which we show as good at 14 volts) getting to the starter? Since starters don't go flakey between hot and cold weather (or overnight) except in very rare (neighbor with a voodoo doll) circumstances, this tells me the wires going to or coming off the starter are suspect.
    You didn't list in your profile where you live or which bike it is (model/year), but I'm guessing it's somewhere that gets a good bit of condensation at night right now, and the water from the condensation is effectively bridging whatever nick in the insulation is there. Trace the wires, and examine them closely -- if you see any corrosion on their connectors, clean it; if any corrosion appears on the wires themselves (like under the connectors where it goes into the insulation sheathing), that chunk of wire will need to be replaced from end-to-end. Search out the ground wire for the starter as well and find where it connects on the other end -- should bolt to the frame I would imagine, in which case, you need to sand up that mounting point to make sure it's 100% corossion free (slathering it up with dielectric grease afterwards will help keep the corrosion from returning).

If that doesn't do it, time to seek a local mechanic.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for all your Help!

Comment

Working...
      X