X

changeing gearing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changeing gearing

What is easier to do change the front or the rear sprocket? And do i need to get a new chain even thought theres less than 2k miles on my bike>? I was thinking about lowering my gearing, going down one in the front or up two in the rear. Im looking for more around town speed, some high accel up to 120mph and alittle easier to pick the front wheel up.

it really depends on what you want to get out of your bike. some people only drop one in the front, others do that along with using a larger rear. it's all up to you and how much top end you want to sacrifice for torque. it's suggested that when you change sprockets you change your chain as well, but with only 2000 miles i wouldn't worry about that much. if you wanted to keep the old chain and not buy a new one, lower the front and leave the rear the alone.

Long Live the D

Comment

I have the same situation only 4500 miles on my chain looking a little hp in the city. If I changed the whole thing front rear and chain is it a big difference or will I at least feel a difference with only the front also would I have to do anything to the speed o with just the fronts?
      Thanks
      "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

depends on how many teeth you change. you can literally go from mild to wild. if you go up one in the back, you probably won't feel it. one down in the front will make a small difference (about 3%). one down, 3 up, bigger change. if you have a 98+, you'll have to get a speedohealer or similiar no matter which sprockets you change.

this link will give you the final drive changes with selected sprocket tooth counts.

Long Live the D

Comment

Working...
        X