X

Best spark plugs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best spark plugs?

Last year when I took my bike in to get the carbs cleaned out, I had them replace the plugs too while they were at it. No sense me taking all that plastic off again after they just did it, or vice versa.

Anyways, how often should you change them, and whats the best brand to use. I know plugs can get fouled pretty quick on a kat, so is it best to just do it every year too?

I used to keep a box under my seat (I had carb issues) . I've found that alot of times with a fouled plug , you can clean it and it'll last a while longer . Always used NGK plugs (stock plugs) . Since I've gotten my carb problems sorted , I've pretty much been on the same set of plugs for the last few months . You don't really HAVE to take half the bike apart to get at 'em , either , and it's a 30 minute job . Most people will tell you to throw a fresh set in in the spring . Just remember some anti-seize or at the very least a couple drops of oil on the threads .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I use the NGK plugs as well.

Good point on the threads MD.
      AMA member # 224227

Comment

Originally posted by Meikol2
        I use the NGK plugs
        do they sell other brands for bikes

Comment

They might, but that's what Special K recommended.
          AMA member # 224227

Comment

NGK is the way to go, and DEFINITLY use anti-seize.

Comment

From my understanding, you don't really need the platinum or iridium plugs on the kat. Lets face it, the kat is not a "High Performance" machine. It is only putting out some 80horses. The NGK should do just fine.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

80 horses Lou??? Is that the 600? My pre98 750 stock is running 97.3 to 98 horse power w/ 14,000 miles on it.

NGK is what I found to work best for me or you can go with Bosch, a little pricey though. Stick with what you had in there stock.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

NGK is the prefered brand, with two offerings for each of the Katana engines -- the stock plug, and an irridium plug alternative. The stock plug works exceptionally well in a well tuned engine, while the irridium tends to not foul quite as readily in slightly off-tune engines (but not enough IMHO to justify the price difference) if they are running well enough to come up to full operating temp. All spark plugs are designed to burn off build-up and fouling once full operating temp has been reached for the spark plug.

Suzuki also recommends a DENSO alternative if you do not have access to the NGK's. Check your owner's manual for the DENSO equivilent if you go that route.

There are plugs also available from champion, split-fire and a number of other firms, but my experiences with these plugs show that they are not as suitable to the task at hand for the Katana engines (possibly because the plugs are not designed with air-oil cooling in mind), and there has been at least one report of an user actually getting piston contact with a champion plug in his Kat (I don't know whether the engine was stock or the head was milled down -- he was a third owner and didn't know what the previous owners had done).

KNOW THIS:
                  Your local auto parts store can often get the stock NGK's at a price far below what the local dealer may charge. Expect to pay around $4.50 - $5 per stock NGK and around $11 - $12 for the irridium.
                  Proper torque for the spark plugs is a meager 8 lb-ft. Do not overtorque the plugs!

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

heck i just bought me the iridium ngk's for mine at advance auto parts for 4.89 a plug and they wanted 4.78 for the regulars and i thought i had died for finding them that cheap......... about 4 months ago i had put the iridiums in my car[my car is customed for racing even though it is a cavalier] and they were 13.50 a plug

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat View Post
                      Last year when I took my bike in to get the carbs cleaned out, I had them replace the plugs too while they were at it. No sense me taking all that plastic off again after they just did it, or vice versa.

I never take off my plastics to change plugs, just remove the gas tank and that's it.
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Awaken the post... good timing for throwing some in for spring.
                        95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                        Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                        ---
                        I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

NGK CR9EIX (irridium plugs)
                          NGK CR9EK (reg plugs)
                          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I've been using split fire ever since I got my first bike... served me well

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                              I never take off my plastics to change plugs, just remove the gas tank and that's it.
                              took you 5 years to tell matt that.BTW where is he?

Comment

Working...
                              X