X

How do you adjust idle with Mesh Mod?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you adjust idle with Mesh Mod?

Considering the mesh mod, but I just thought of something.

I recently added a slip-on exhaust. I didn't need to rejet the carbs or anything, but I did need to adjust the idle some as it was running a little high (around 1500 RPM) after I installed the slip on.

A big THANKS to the SEARCH button when it came to adjusting the idle - I didn't know exactly where the screw was

Now, given the location of the thumb screw to adjust the idle, how do you adjust it once you have the mesh mod in place? Would you have to remove the fairing every time you wanted to adjust the idle?

Not sure if this question applies only to 98+ Kats. I don't know where the idle screw is on the pre 98 Kats since I don't have one...

Whudda ya think?
    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

If you look at the idle adjustment thumbwheel, I think the 98+ still has a philipshead opening in the center -- if so, and if the mesh is broad enough to pass the shaft of the screwdriver through, you could get to it that way. Otherwise, you'll need to pull the fairing away enough to get your hand down there.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

OK, just went out to the garage.

Of course, you are correct. The idle thumbscrew does have a phillips head slot in the center. However, the top of the thumbscrew is below the opening in the fairing. With the most narrow phillips head screwdriver I have I was unable to turn the screw. I was able to reach the slot, but the tip was too narrow to turn it. Using a screwdriver with a large enough tip to engage the slot in the thumbwheel I was unable to reach it. Tried with a couple of flat heads also with the same result. Mind you, I tried this with no mesh on. Also, the mesh I've seen is usually "bubbled out" so it would be even harder to reach.

I doubt a flexible screwdriver would work because the shaft would probably be too wide and there is very little clearance between the slot in the thumbwheel and the fairing.

However, as I'm sure you know, the thumbwheel has ridges along the edge. Only thing I can think is if you have the mesh mod you might be able to slip a narrow flat head screwdriver through the mesh to catch the ridges on the thumbwheel itself in order to turn it for adjustment.

In any case, seems the mesh mod adds a new level of difficulty to adjusting the idle that some may not have realized. I'm not saying I'm the first to realize this - it just happened to pop into my head because I adjusted the idle very recently.

Anyone out there with the mesh mod have to adjust your idle? If so, how did you go about doing it? Just curious before I decide if this mod is something I want. Love the way it looks, but may not like taking my fairing off to adjust the idle. I don't see any way I could pull the fairing back enough to get my hand down there, but the "flat head to ridge trick" might work. Beats me

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

How often do you really need to adjust the idle screw ?? :duno:
        Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

I guess it depends on the condition of your bike. I've only adjusted the idle screw twice (both times recently), but I don't know if the mechanic I take the bike to has done it after performing maintenance for me.

It's just so easy to do w/o the mesh. Don't know if I wanna turn a 1 minute adjustment into a 3 hour project should the need for an idle adjustment arise.

Comment

Make a mesh with hinges on one side and a little clip on the other that secures to the edge of the fairing hole. Not sure of the exact design offhand, but I'm pretty sure it could be done.
            Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
              I guess it depends on the condition of your bike. I've only adjusted the idle screw twice (both times recently), but I don't know if the mechanic I take the bike to has done it after performing maintenance for me.

It's just so easy to do w/o the mesh. Don't know if I wanna turn a 1 minute adjustment into a 3 hour project should the need for an idle adjustment arise.
              once you take the plastics off a few times it shouldnt take more than a few minutes. get some T handle allen keys and it makes it alot easier too.

course if you do take it to the shop alot for work you might see it costing more. the mechanic can come up with a reason to want to adjust the idle and suddenly you have an hour of extra labor on there cause he had to pull the plastics to get to it....

worste case do the mesh then cut a tiny hole near the adjuster to reach it. throw a chrome cover on the adjust screw and it wouldnt look out of place.
              03 katanika

Comment

Take out two allen screws. 1- top left near tank and 2- near air box. Pull away fairing and slip your hand in to adjust the screw. Yes it is a PITA , but you shouldn't have to do it that often... see pics of mine in my profile.
                Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

Originally posted by DoyleDee
                  Take out two allen screws. 1- top left near tank and 2- near air box. Pull away fairing and slip your hand in to adjust the screw. Yes it is a PITA , but you shouldn't have to do it that often... see pics of mine in my profile.
                  that is what i do on my bike.. like he said PITA but shouldnt need to do it often

Comment

mesh mod woes

this is exactly why I haven't doen it yet... my carb works poorly, and I am always working the idle... I need easy access. I guess I'll justhave to wait until I get things sorted out...
                    Flush twice... It's a long way to the kitchen.

Comment

Yuo could always make a little larger hole in the mesh for a screwdriver, or possibly relocate the idle adjuster.. so what if you have a "convienient hole" . It will make life easier for you and you can still have the mod.
                      Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

you could always bend the hangers that hold the idle screw to the carbs so it is in a more convenient location so it isn't aligned with the frame any more.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Could it be possible to extend the thumbscrew out just past the mesh?

Comment

Originally posted by darrellparkhill
                            Could it be possible to extend the thumbscrew out just past the mesh?
                            In theory, with enough fabrication, anything is possible, but it'd be a PIA to remove your fairings if the thumbscrew support plate were attached to the fairings, and you'd have to figure out how to cast a whole different thumbscrew assembly (or replace it with a longer one) to make the existing mount stick out far enough.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X