X

help with ignition swith Please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with ignition swith Please

My ignition switch doesn't always fire on contact. I think that it needs cleaning. My Haynes shop manual is very vague, and with my luck I will disassemble and everything will fall out. How difficult is this and how is it done?
    R.I.P. Marc

Not TERRIBLY difficult , actually . Just take your time , and make sure you got enough light .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thanks MD. So if I remove the two screws on the bottom, will it be obvious after I take it apart?
      R.I.P. Marc

Comment

You mean the ignition (key) or the starter (button)
        The key switch requires a special tool, unless yours has been
        monkeyed already. I used a allen screw and vise grips.
        (it's a tiny hex type of screw, not allen so you need a tiny socket) The bottom then unscrews the same way.
        Inside are the contact parts and rotor. All could be dirty and the plate may need to be shimmed so it contacts the rotor better..

Now if it's the button:
        Remove the control pod (screws at bottom) and clean the
        contacts.. I suggest a good smear of di-lectric grease as well on either switch..

Comment

its called an inverted torx socket

Comment

Is it?
            I guess that makes sense, I had no issues using a 4mm
            allen screw though..

Comment

Actually it is the starter button, sorry for the confusion. I removed the assembly and it looked tlike the starter button mechanism is being held in place by a phillips screw. I didn't want to take it apart in case there were small parts that may easily get lost. I can see that there is contact, but cannot tell if there is any corrosion/dirt build up and would rather not take it apart until I get a little more advice.

Do I need to take the staret button out of the housing or can I simply spray it with something to clean it?
              R.I.P. Marc

Comment

You can try to spray it with contact cleaner.
                They may still carry it at radio shack.
                Used to be called "Color Tuner Cleaner"

But maybe you can get some sandpaper or something in there? After having disassembled and reassembled my turnsignal switch I can see your worry about the
                "small parts"..

Comment

thank BP, I'll give it a go.
                  R.I.P. Marc

Comment

I took the starter button apart and cleaned it off with some sandpaper, reassembled and it fired no problem. Tried a bunch more times and it did not fire once out of 5 or 6 tries. So I don't really know if I have this thing solved or not.
                    R.I.P. Marc

Comment

But did it get better ?

Comment

Jury is still out. If it lets me down in front of a bunch of hotties, then no I guess it's not better.
                        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Okay so I farted around a bit more and I think the starter relay is the culprit.
                          R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Selenoid ? Litttle round thing near the battery ? What makes you say that ?

Comment

Don't forget to check the interlocks. If either the kickstand or clutch switches have bad connections, that would also prevent it from firing.

/kiba
                              find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

Working...
                              X