X

Switching to synthetic

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to synthetic

After my last topic about synthetic oil I'm going to switch, I have two questions, What do I use to flush out the old oil, and what kind of filter do I use?

I was always told NEVER to flush a motorcycle engine.....so I haven't..
    (an Amsoil rep told me this when I tried their motorcycle syn)

I just switched straight to a synthetic (Mobile 1 motorcycle syn)

I use either a K&N oil filter (high flow) or the Suzuki OEM

what a cool smilie

Comment

Re: Switching to synthetic

Originally posted by bonstrosity
      After my last topic about synthetic oil I'm going to switch, I have two questions, What do I use to flush out the old oil, and what kind of filter do I use?
      (A1) To flush the oil, dump the oil in the oil cooler and do two oil changes close to each other (within a few hundred miles). The system is designed in such a way that there is no way to get out 100% of the oil in the bike without disassembling the engine, but doing the above should net you about 92% between the two changes.

(A2) Synthetics can mix with standard oils, and you do not need to use a full flush product on the engine unless you have sludge build-up or other oil-feed related issues. If you do have sludge contamination, pull the clutch basket out, use Gunk brand Engine Flush as per their instructions, then drain the oil and the cooler. Refill with a cheap motorcycle oil (such as Castrol ACT/Evo), run five minutes, then drain everything again. Reinstall the clutch basket and refill the engine with the synthetic.

(B) Use the Suzuki oil filter; it's the best filter I've seen (in terms of the inside construction and filtration). The part number for the proper oil filter wrench for the OEM filter is 09915-40610 and is under $8 via most dealerships.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I did it the same way as kickit, and had no problems whatsoever.

She'd be smiling if she had 996 cc's of thumping twin power between her legs

Comment

I've switched straight to full synthetic in ALL of my engines and have never had an issue. I just waited until the second or third oil change.
          -Steve

Comment

Wow...its been a while Steve. I just thought I'd clarify...I was told never to use a flushing agent...

Comment

Working...
            X