X

Need Advice, please read and comment.. Thank YOU

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice, please read and comment.. Thank YOU

My 99 Katana had some work done recently, used to be a salvage bike, but could not be titled. I bought from this person i have dealt with before and he sold me the bike with the understanding that another frame would be put on etc to get it titled correctly..

Anyway, long story short, he assured me the carbs would be cleaned and a jet kit would be installed for an extra $300.00 or the value of a computer system (this is what i do)... So after waiting a few weeks, the bike was finally delivered. I have 3 emails stating that the carbs were done,etc, JET kit was installed, tuned, etc..

Well, after 3 months and not much riding (less than 500 miles), the bike idles like crap and hesitates from a stop. So i emailed him asking what it could be, he said carbs.. i said, carbs?.. Wasnt that already done... I didnt think that was right to do them and with so little riding time, they would need to be adjusted etc...

I found another mechanic from Craigslist who had very good feedback from other people, had him come down, he pulled the carbs and noticed 2 things. now, you tell me if this makes sense, does to me. He showed me the screws on the carbs, looked brand new, not a paint chip from the screwdriver, nothing, also 2 of them were so tight, that he said that was factory sealed and have never been removed. After pulling them, he said they were stock needles and need to me adjusted, etc.. all of that makes sense.. After installing them back in, the screws were all chipped and looked like they had been removed (of course)..

i am trying hard not to confront the other guy, but he can always say, it was installed, i have the kit, etc.. i was never around when he did the original work, b/c he worked from his house late hours of the night..

Does everything the other mechanic make sense??.. can you remove the screws and not chip the screw black paint?.. Would it be that difficult to remove the screws if they were removed already?.. No one would torque them so tight would they?..

thanks, comments...

ask the guy who supposedly installed the kit to see the old hardware that was changed out. although after 3 months it's unlikey he would keep it.

Long Live the D

Comment

a couple of things.

if he cleaned them & adjusted the a/f screw - he would of had to drill out the seal caps.

if its a stock needle ( no height adjustment ) then... it's stock

once you removed the bowl you could see how clean the bottom is.

but.... if it runs like $hit i guess you know the answer.

tim

Comment

Sounds to me like the work wasn't proformed. It is hard enough to remove the screws without striping the heads let alone not chiping the paint on them..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Running like crap on three month old gas is to be expected, especially if some of it sat in the carbs and dried up.

Whether he actually opened the float bowls and cleaned properly, or just sprayed out the carbs a bit is questionable -- given the screws, he probably didn't.

Good luck with that!

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks everyone, update was i caught him lying, he trying to tell me some technique he uses that jars them loose and doesnt strip/chip the screws..

Complete joke, thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
            X