Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Burnt up headlight wiring Harness. Need help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt up headlight wiring Harness. Need help!

Ok. I know I already reak of squid, but hear me out first.

2002....just got my bike. Excited I bought some Xenon Hyper White H4 bulbs. Put them in. All is well. My bike battery does die if left on for 15 minues. Everything else runs fine though.

Fast forwarding....

The year is now 2006. My low beams go out. Highs still work fine. The fuze is blown and bulbs need replacing. Replace fuze. Go to get bulbs out....and they won't come out. Upon closer inspection the plastic harness that connects to each bulb is literally fuzed to the bulb. The bulbs are 100/90v. I know a far cry from the 66/55 I needed. What's done is done though. =/

What are my options at this point?

What am I going to need to replace?

Bout how much is it going to cost?

Is it hard to fix?

It really doesn't look like it. I'm thinkin I'll just need a new harness and move the wires from the existing harness to the new one. Ta da ta da right? Juussst checkin though. Thanks in advance to any help anyone gives. Can get pics if needed.

Looney

you can try and get the bulb out and check the harness but if the bulb melted into the harness its probablly gonna need replaced. i couldn't imagine a harness costing more than $35 dollars but i guess it depends where you get it from. than its as easy as matching up the wires off the old harness onto the new. do one at a time to make it less confusing but they should be color coded. get a good set of wire crimps and wrap tightly with electrical tape. maybe a local motorcylce salvage yard will have one from a wrecked bike or maybe you will luck out and someone on here has an extra one lying around they can sell you for cheap. hopefully you learned your leason off this one but it could have been worse. your whole headlamp assembly including the lenses could have been melted and i am sure that wouldn't be as cheap.

Comment

True That. Fortunately though I opted out of the "Flame Thrower" bulbs so my headlamp assemply is unaffected. Odd that it took 4 years for it to produce a problem.

Comment

i know they sell upgrades harness for cars maybe one of those off ebay will work and still allow you to run the bigger lamp

Comment

I've heard instances of that being a possiblity, but I've already purchased the right bulbs. Car quality harnesses would have been prime 4 years ago though. Hind sight is 20/20.

Comment

H4 bulb socket receivers can be had at virtually any auto parts store for under $8 per bulb (under $5 per in most places). That's the good news.

The bad news is that you must have used a bigger than stock fuse to run 90/100 bulbs (or it should have blown long ago), which means the wiring may be fryed from the sockets backwards as well. That would mean replacing all the headlight wiring from the battery forward. PIA.

If you're going to run that kind of power level, you need to run relays and thicker wire to support it, plus better rated bulb sockets. You can put that together for about $15 per side, or you can buy it online through a variety of vendors for about $45 per side (delivered).

More info:
            CyberPoet's Guide to Motorcycle Lighting and Light Upgrades

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks CP.

Nope....no new fuses. Same 15w fuses that came standard. Its a freak occurance that they lasted as long as they did. Not sure if the wiring is wasted or what, but I do know the low beams and high works on one bulb, just not the other. The other just the high beams works. Luckily seems like just the case of a fried bulb and harnesses. The fuse didn't actually burn out until the low beams did. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Looneybonics
                The fuse didn't actually burn out until the low beams did. Go figure.
                More likely, the fuse and the low-beam both gave at the same time from a third problem elsewhere (think of the filament as a very thin fuseable wire). Good luck finding it.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just ordered 2 new plastic socket pieces from my local stealership for $11 bucks and some change a piece. =/ If all goes well I should be able to wire them up and be good to go. Fingers crossed of course. I'll let ya know.

Comment

Working...
                  X