X

Stuck Float?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Float?

Ok here is the story and to start yes I have used the search and I think it is a stuck float but I want to see what you guys think before I pull it apart.

So I've had the bike out running several times now in decent weather, today was the first real hot day. it was running fine for about 20 minutes, I hit alittle traffic and the idle started getting weird. I thought it might be overheading so I let it sit for a while. I go to go back home and it starts to die at idle, seemed to run fine at speed. I coast into a parking lot and start to investigate and can smell gas. I notice that there is gas with a pretty steady drop coming from the airbox/carb joint on one carb. I'm thinking stuck float, but why only now once it got hot. Any ideas or comments?

Hot stuff acts funny..

Like girls..

Comment

UPDATE: I can't get it to recreate the problem this morning. I pulled the drain tube and there was just a drop or two in there. I changed the oil, I've let it come up to temp and there is not leak anymore. I don't know what to do. I still have a problem where I can't idle between 1000 and 2000. It is either below or above that. Also I think I need a valve adjustment since I can hear a knocking sound sometimes (doesn't sound like detonation though). I don't know I'm about to the point that I think I'm going to have to take it to a shop. Let me know what you guys think.

Comment

i am having a similar problem, at least as far as the idle going 2k or over when hot or if i adjust the idle screw down, it dies when you twist the throttle... im taking apart my carbs in a few hours to see what the heck is going on... i'll let you know what i find, but it seems like a stuck float or something of that nature to me...

btw, my carbs were bagged up for 2 weeks while i swapped a new engine in, so that might be why they are messed up... im not sure why yours would act up all of a sudden... also, even if it is a stuck float, the situation you're describing is very lean (as far as i can tell after researching on the site) which would be why its getting very hot even with proper oil level...

Comment

Well it back to leaking again after I took it for a short ride. I guess its time to pull the carbs off again and see what the hell is going on. It isn't really hot today so I has nothing to do with the outside temperature.

Comment

Working...
          X