X

rf900 shock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rf900 shock

I'm looking to install an RF900 shock on my 2003 600. Due to the age of this shock I'm assuming it'll probably need rebuilt. I am mechanically inclined, and would really like to do this rebuild myself. How much work is involved and where would I find information on how to? I checked racetech and all the prices for an RF900 shock are N/A, which i'm hoping doesn't mean "not rebuildable." Gentle push in the right direction would be excellent. Thanks Guys (and girls).
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

rebuildable ? as far as valving ? sorry, but no it's not.

what you can do is recharge the bottle & ( i highly recommend ) have a stiffer spring put in. normally is like $100+ for the spring around $20 to recharge it - plus a little labor to install the new spring. you'd have to build a device to compress the spring & install the split rings if you cared to try it yourself - not hard but a little dangerous without good clamps.

i ran one for a couple of months. the valving is OK but the spring is too soft. it was better to spend the $300 on an ohlins than rebuild the RF900.
    but... with all the ohlins now sold the RF900 may again be a popular upgrade.

the RF900 will also raise the seat up so adjustable dogbones might need to be fitted ( i custom made a set )

tim

Comment

Yeah , rebuilding a shock ain't a real easy DIY job . Just send it somewhere to have it done . And tell me what you find out , 'cause I got an 1100gsxr shock I need to do the same thing with someday ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If I understand it correctly, that shock isn't "rebuildable" in the same sense that the OEM Kat shocks aren't. Just like fork oil, the oil in the rear shock tends to break down (lose viscosity) over time, and recharging the nitrogen in the gas cartridge won't correct for it, although it will stiffen up the damping some compared to a shock with low gas pressure.

If you're good for flow ($$$), get a new shock that is rebuildable and you'll never have the issue again -- Ohlins (which I sell), Halgons, RaceTech perhaps (I don't know anything about their shocks). If you're not, consider scouring eBay for a shock from a recent Kat or Bandit that was totalled -- something less than 4 years old and still in decent shape. I just sold my three-year old Kat shock for $30 + S&H on eBay in virtually mint condition (like Trinc, I went to the Ohlin, although now I'm kicking myself for not keeping the stocker just to put back on the bike when I sell it).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It may be possible to use an SV650 shock..
          Not sure yet. (need to get some calipers on one.)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            If I understand it correctly, that shock isn't "rebuildable" in the same sense that the OEM Kat shocks aren't. Just like fork oil, the oil in the rear shock tends to break down (lose viscosity) over time, and recharging the nitrogen in the gas cartridge won't correct for it, although it will stiffen up the damping some compared to a shock with low gas pressure.

If you're good for flow ($$$), get a new shock that is rebuildable and you'll never have the issue again -- Ohlins (which I sell), Halgons, RaceTech perhaps (I don't know anything about their shocks). If you're not, consider scouring eBay for a shock from a recent Kat or Bandit that was totalled -- something less than 4 years old and still in decent shape. I just sold my three-year old Kat shock for $30 + S&H on eBay in virtually mint condition (like Trinc, I went to the Ohlin, although now I'm kicking myself for not keeping the stocker just to put back on the bike when I sell it).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            i was thinking about selling my stock shock too once i get the ohlins on. but for 30$ i might as well keep it. then ill have something if i ever sell the bike or if i need to send the ohlins in for rebuild. i thought a great shape shock would get more than 30$ ; \
            03 katanika

Comment

Working...
            X