X

Ignition Advancer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Advancer

Just looking for anything I need to watch our for when installing my ignition advancer. I found trinc's article on motorcycleanchor, but I'm looking for any other problems or tricks people have found. On a 2003 600.

One question I know I have is the fairings. I'm assuming i have to take them off (if not respond quickly before i do too much work... LOL). I've tried taking it off before, and I run into a problem with the two, I'm going to call them "push pins", that look like they just snap in place holding the large side fairings to the center fairing on the front of the bike. I don't want to attack them with the "if i pull hard enough they will come off" tactic, so i'm looking for the proper way to remove these "push pin" things.

Regardless of whether the fairings have to come off for this, I would like to know how to get the fairings off because i need to replace a turn signal cover anyway.
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

The push pins are handled by pushing up on the center back and pushing down on the outter ring of the front. I use a broad flat-tipped screwdriver on my thumb to push up, a pair of bottle-nose/needle-nose pliers opened slightly to push down on the outer ring. Some people can do it without tools, but I tend to replace the pop-snaps when they come apart easily, so mine are always stiff.

When installing the advancer: pay attention to the torque spec for the bolt. If the advancer that is in there has never been off, it may have blue loctite on it, in which case it will require a very hard, quick snap to break the loctite -- simply applying progressively more pressure won't do it.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
    X