X

Chain rust (doh!)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain rust (doh!)

I recently switched from chain wax to oil, and lo-and-behold I just discovered some small rust spots on the outside of the chain.

So I'm going back to wax, but I want to hit those rust spots with some steel wool first to clean it off.

Will that affect the integrity of the chain links? I mean, is there some sort of protective coating that I might completely annihilate if I do that?
    1994 Suzuki Katana 750
    1995 Mustang GT Convertible
    1991 Mustang LX Hatch

did you try to wipe it off 1st?

Comment

Odd , I went from wax to oil , and my chain seems to look BETTER . But I used the GOOD oil they put in my car last oil change . They gave me a couple extra quarts .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Re: Chain rust (doh!)

(A) You need a better oil or more frequent chain maint. Oil still is king in Florida, because waxes hold sand against the O-rings, which deteriorates them faster. If you want cheap, visit your local discount auto parts (or other auto parts store) and go looking for chain oil in the lube section. If you want better, visit your local CycleGear store and grab some of their house-brand chain oil, or your local auto parts store and track down Permatex chain lube (permatex item #80075). Get in the habit of adding a little bit of oil (say a 3 second spray's worth) every time you tank up and after any ride through the rain.

(B) Nylon bristle brush will get the rust off and won't damage the pins or anything else you can see from the sides. You don't want to take a stiff nylon brush to the rollers though, and you don't really want to take steel wool or metal bristles to your chain (in the case of steel wool, you'll leave behind small pieces that will become future contamination and rust like the dickens). The only thing that can be normally damaged is the rubber o-rings that sit between the roller and the inner-sideplate, or between the inner and outter sideplates (depends on the chain design).

For a whole lot more info, see:
        CyberPoet's "How to understand motorcycle chain wear and maintenance, oil, wax, rollers, cleaning, lubing, etc"

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X