Valve adjustment and carb synch to be done

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve adjustment and carb synch to be done

Hey guys,
    I finally have a sunday this weekend that I can devote to getting the kat all tuned in. Ok, Im not sure if I have to replace some things when I remove the head. I know Im gonna need new o-rings for the oil lines that connect to the head. How big are those and can i get just 2 at a dealer or do I need to buy like groups of 10? Second, do you reccommend replacing the head gasket? I would think you would, but then I again, if I knew I wouldnt be asking. : ) I have feeler gauges for the adjustment. On to the carb synch. I watched CP's video on his "longest" 15k tune, so I kinda see what to expect in terms of movement of mercury or solid metal in the gauge. CP reccommends the Motion Pro. I like the looks....is there anything else of good quality that anyone else can reccommend for a lesser price? Or am I just being a cheap a$$ and should just get the Motion Pro for ease of future tune ups? Last question, How do most of you guys rig up your gas tank during a carb synch so that it still runs fuel and also stays out of your way? Any imput would be greatly appreciated or addition to anything I might have forgotten for these processes.

Thanks,
    Mitch
    Chuck Norris once said that 67% of statistics are made up... everyone believed him.

- First of all, for the sake of clarity, you're not removing the 'head', you're removing the 'valve cover'.

- This is usually considered a no-no, but I didn't see a need to replace any rubber parts when doing my valve adjustment. The O-rings weren't flattened (and seemed to be in good condition), so I re-used them. I wouldn't re-use them more than once, though (as in, during my next valve adjustment, I'll replace them just for good measure). The same goes for the valve cover gasket. Of course, if the rubber pieces appear damaged, by all means replace them. Looking from your profile, your bike's 14 years old, so I'd take a good look at the O-rings and gasket. If you are going to replace the rings and gasket, I would personally get them from a dealer (remember to use liquid gasket sealer on the half-circles of the valve cover gasket - you'll see what I mean when you look at it).

- I initially got the Morgan CarbTune II (what CP had in his video), so I'm not sure about other kinds of gauges, but I do plan on doing a lot of syncs with it.

- To rig the gas tank, I bring a table/workbench outside next to the bike, and just run a longer fuel hose from it to the in-line fuel filter. Switch to prime so fuel flows, and you should be all set. I know some people can do the sync with just the fuel left in the carb bowls, but I need more than that :P

- If you haven't already, I'd do some searching on the forums for adjusting valves and the carb sync (and get a service manual if you don't have one yet). Lots o' good info
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Thanks for the info Teh_k. I already do have a manual and have researched the forums. Yea, valve cover not head..oops. Just wanted a little more helpful advice before diving into this. A local shop around here carries a Motion Pro gauge for $57. I like the table idea for the synch. Thanks a bunch again. I'll have to let ya know how it goes.

Mitch
      Chuck Norris once said that 67% of statistics are made up... everyone believed him.

Comment

Working...
      X