X

Battary

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battary

Do they make a battary worth a shit or I'm I going to have to change it out every 6 months?
    Ride like there no tommorow.

Yeah they do. Just buy the Yusa battery that is maintenance free. Batteries come about 80% charged so before you install a new make sure it is charged up all the way.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

The only people who generally need a new battery every 6 months are:

(A) Those who always ride just a very short distance (1 - 2 miles) over and over, but whose engines don't spring to life at the first flick of the starter even when the engine is warm;

(B) Those with the California fans running all the time (wears down batteries like they're going out of style);

(C) Those who ride less than once a week and don't keep their batteries connected to some form of trickle/float charger during the meantime;

(D) Those with some form of short or drain that shouldn't be there.

KNOW THIS:
      Your battery loses 25-40% of it's long term storage capacity every time it's run down too low to start the bike. Run it down 3 to 5 times and it's toast. Using a charger to keep it full helps avoid this issue.
      Cold removes your battery's ability to produce power temporarily (it'll return when warm); heat and vibration are what reduce your battery's ability to store power permanently.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well I can tell you this normally I do rides over 20 min almost everyday an on the week ends I get around 150 + miles so the bike never sets for more that a day before I ride it. Once a month I put it on a charger overnight to just get it's pep back. I check for shorts a few days age and it is pulling about 2ma with nothing on. One thing I was worry about is The alt. is putting out 14.26v at 5 grand. Is it possible that it is over charging the bat and killing it?

Comment

Originally posted by max*1013
          One thing I was worry about is The alt. is putting out 14.26v at 5 grand. Is it possible that it is over charging the bat and killing it?
          14.26V @ 5k RPM is a good value.
          Batteries do get old, and usually need to be replaced every few years (bikes induce more vibration and more heat on batteries than cars, which are the two standard killers of batteries).

The only other possibility is that the voltage regulator is spilling over A/C instead of DC. This is hard to diagnose and can induce all sorts of secondary problems, but it doesn't sound like the case for you.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I don't have a manual for a 98+ 750 but is a 2MA more that should be produce or is it about right for that kind of bike.

Comment

Originally posted by max*1013
              I don't have a manual for a 98+ 750 but is a 2MA more that should be produce or is it about right for that kind of bike.
              2 milliamps (2/1000ths of an amp) seems like a reasonable pull for the fuel gauge & the clock with the bike off. Easy way to tell -- unplug the gauge cluster -- power consumption should drop to zero.
              Figure the OEM battery for the bike is rated at 9AH (9 amp-hours). 2mA is generally insignificant as long as the bike runs every week or two.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Battery

If you have a digital clock, pull yhe 10 amp fuse in the fuse box that says meter. It will kill the clock only. The clock is on a 10 amp circuit. Joe Boo say bad, very bad. I personally haven't had anymore battery issues since I killed the clock. I figure it and the fuel guage was pulling mine down pretty quick. You can always use the fuse as a spare or plug it back in if you go on a trip. Hope this helps.

P.S. Cyber is the man.

Comment

Thanks I'll try that

Comment

Battery

8) How's the battery doing? Did killing the clock help? Mine is doing fine so far.

Comment

Battery

8) Let mine sit for a week. Voltage was 12.4, took it down the road and back, buzzed tach to 9500, parked it checked voltage between 12.8 and 13. So far so good. Before with the clock running it would be in the high 11's after sitting.

Comment

Re: Battery

Originally posted by coolhandluke
                        8) Let mine sit for a week. Voltage was 12.4, took it down the road and back, buzzed tach to 9500, parked it checked voltage between 12.8 and 13. So far so good. Before with the clock running it would be in the high 11's after sitting.
                        Sounds like you need to invest in a trickle-charger or float charger. Most of us swear by Deltran's "Battery Tender" line of products, and I use their WaterProof 800 model.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Battery

8) Yes sir, a trickle and Morgan are on my winter list. I've got a 1amp that I'm using now but it doesn't have a auto shutdown. Got a Wally World 12ES in it now and staying ontop of it since it's not a Yusua. Will be pulling it down for head swap,plus it's starting to get cold down here, battery coming inside. Been watching voltage drop while sitting, fuel guage stays on all the time, that's why I dumped the clock, I think both of them being on all the time were kicking my batterys butt. The bigger battery has seemed to solve issues plus killing the clock. Got a FZ1, 600 Kat, and VZ800 trying to keep batteries and oil circulated on all 3 weather permitting of course. Sometimes I get behind on one.

Comment

Re: Battery

Originally posted by coolhandluke
                            ...trying to keep batteries and oil circulated on all 3 weather permitting of course. Sometimes I get behind on one.
                            Battery tender does off mutli-battery chargers

Or if you're working with penny-a-day spare change levels, HarborFreight carries really cheap float chargers too (under $10 or so), and give each one it's own.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Harbor Freight

8) Thanks for the tip CP. We have a Harbor Freight in Little Rock about 20 miles from my house. I'll check them out. Need a regulator for my air compressor too. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
                              X