X

crab syncronizing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crab syncronizing

I've always used a manometer (Morgan carbtune II) to sync carbs. I saw a set of gauges on jcwhitney and was thinking of picking them up. Does anyone have any thoughts. Which is better, or easier to use, manometer or gauges?

The CarbTune II will never go bad, can be cleaned, doesn't use mercury, and is easier to use than any of the other options I've ever seen (at least in the 4-tube version). If you have one already, why bother with anything else?

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Luck me, I have a lifetime supply of murcury..
      (don't tell the epa)
      I work with vacuum a lot, I don't trust gauges unless they are good quality, $50+ good.
      So a gauge sychro for $200+ or a manometer for
      under 50. Hmmm.
      The best way to measure inches of murcury is with murcury. The CarbTune has wieghts right?
      I think this is a good idea too for the reasons Cyber mentioned. Since I have access to the parts I could build one using 4 MKS 1000 Torr barotrons
      but why reinvent the wheel.. Other then to own a $5000 carb synchonizer.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        Luck me, I have a lifetime supply of murcury..
        (don't tell the epa)
        You got 'splaining to do, Lucy...
        Seriously, though, why/how/huh?

Originally posted by Black_peter
        I work with vacuum a lot, I don't trust gauges unless they are good quality, $50+ good.
        So a gauge sychro for $200+ or a manometer for
        under 50. Hmmm.
        The best way to measure inches of murcury is with murcury. The CarbTune has wieghts right?
        Yes, stainless steel weights in acrylic or polycrylic tubes. There's no damper to shut down the oscillations with the stock kit, but the mass of the weights itself helps some, and it's easy enough to read (there were dampers available if needed as an accessory). The coolest parts are that it is easy to disassemble and clean if it every accidentally got corrupted by oil, etc. (although I can't see it doing so), and that you can install a set of vacuum tubes permanently on the bike if you need to sync frequently (such as on race bikes) -- just hook up the tool and sync. And it's definitely way cheaper than the Suzuki brand one (which clocks in around $195, part number 09913-13121). That said, the CarbTuneII isn't cheap compared to the other alternatives (such as mercury balancers), in part because the dollar is weak right now and the Morgan CarbTuneII is made in the UK.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          The CarbTune II will never go bad, can be cleaned, doesn't use mercury, and is easier to use than any of the other options I've ever seen (at least in the 4-tube version). If you have one already, why bother with anything else?

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          I remember a thread on that, do you have the best place I can get it at? I am tired of mercury and the possible mess.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Only place I know is directly from the manufacturer -- it took about 5 days to get to my mailbox once I sent him the paypal payment.

Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cool, thanks again Cyber. Now to get to work!
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                I was working on the book...
                Just dropped emails to the original design team who came up with the first Katana concept drawings to get permission to use them and to verify some facts.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  I was working on the book...
                  Just dropped emails to the original design team who came up with the first Katana concept drawings to get permission to use them and to verify some facts.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  That is great Marc, I am so glad to hear the progress moving right along. I think I might be able to find some other Katana concept photo's, if you are interested?
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  Who knows what is next?

Comment

That is great Marc, I am so glad to hear the progress moving right along. I think I might be able to find some other Katana concept photo's, if you are interested?
                    Only if (A) I can get permission to reuse them, and (B) they come from a valid source. I figured dealing with the original design team/firm should net me those items

But I would still love to see what you can find...

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I will be back with a PM when I get to it. Did you want to see the V-rod Engine design, I asked from another post?
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      Who knows what is next?

Comment

you can also find the morgan carbtune on ebay pretty regularly. Usually about 20-30 dollars less than from morgan.

Comment

I will be back with a PM when I get to it. Did you want to see the V-rod Engine design, I asked from another post?
                          Sure. Send it to my email or start a new (unrelated) thread and PM me with a link to it.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I am waiting to get a reply on the origin of this photo. It was at the 1980 new bike show, I do know that. I will get back to you on the reliable source. This is the first and I will look for some links, I have some time to kill tonight.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            Who knows what is next?

Comment

The origional , where it all started Katana . Looks nothing like the modern day Kats ! A friend of mine who used to be a mechanic "back in the day" before being exposed to Agent Orange told me that the Katana was the first motorcycle with the seat/tank designed to "eject" the rider in a head-on collision . I wonder if that's true ...
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X