Katana won't start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana won't start

Hi,

I have a 2000 Suzuki Katana 600 that I didn't ride last year meaning it has set unstarted for close to 2 years. I have been trying to start it.

So far I've replaced the plugs and put in new gas after siphoning the old out. After fiddling with this a while I put a little gas in each of the carbs to get it to turn over. During this process I removed the tank and noticed the lines were completely dry, no gas in the gas filter or anything. I know I had the valve on.

I also noticed the valve having what looks like a vacuum line going into it as well as the fuel line. Does this valve require a vacuum line to operate and could this be siezed up from sitting to long?

Another thing I just tried was to put it on prime. No gas came out and I also could not blow back through it when the line was off.

Thanks in advance.

Steve H.

It sounds like the inside of the tank has so much rust or muck that it covered up the screens on the petcock. The obvious answer is to unbolt the petcock, and then rinse the tank out with fresh fuel, followed by using a flashlight to peer into it closely (looking for rust). You also want to put your finger in the through the hole where the petcock was and rub the inside to feel the surface -- if your finger comes back out with any rust-colored debris, it's time to treat the whole tank for rust (see CyberPoet's "How to Treat Motorcycle Gas Tank Rust").

While you have the petcock out, clean the screens thoroughly.

Yes, the petcock has a vacuum line that goes from it to the #4 carb's nipple, which vacuum activates it to open in any position other than PRIME (PRIME bypasses the vacuum requirement).

Good Luck!
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok

Thanks for the advice.. I'll check that out, I did "look" for rust and didn't see anything but taking it off is cheaper than buying a new petcock (isn't that a nice word).

Won't I have to get a new gasket if I take it off? And where is the best place to buy one assuming I can't find it locally?

Thanks

Steve H.

Comment

Re: ok

(A) You shouldn't need a new gasket unless the old one is failing. The petcock gasket is usually reusable.

(B) Gaskets are specialty items, so sourcees are your local dealer, or mail order dealer (RonAyers.com) or you might be able to fab one up out of a sheet of fuel-grade gasket rubber material.

(C) Taking off and reinstalling the petcock doesn't change it's condition, it just give you access to the tank.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X