X

getting a bike retitled

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting a bike retitled

I'am rebuilding a pre 98 kat 600 from the frame up. In other words, I started with just an engine and then got a frame and so on and so on. The frame I bought for this project has a florida certificate of destruction due to cosmetic reasons. I live in Chicago (Illinois), and I'm nearing the end of this rebuild. I'm wondering how I go about getting my new creation legal. Has anyone had expirence retitleing a motorcycles?

call the rmv and they will let you know what you need....do you have the title for the frame you used?

Comment

yeah the frame came with a florida cert. of destruction, I also have receipts for every single part I put on the thing and I have the title from the bike that the engine I used came out of.

Comment

WOW.............have I got really bad news for yous...............

From the 30 or so states I've dealt with, NO STATE will allow a CD or Certificate of Destruction title to be re-titled. Every state I've ever even HEARD OF honors each others CD or NON-REBUILDABLE titles. Think about it.........if they did not, it would be chaos!

Now for some good news:

I know where another frame is!! (and its got a clean title!)

E-mail me.....................I'll try and help!
        I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
        Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
        Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

The state of Florida (where I live) has a zillion title types for motorcycles, and virtually none of them can be rebuilt for retitling for street use. Even if the state of Illinois permits reuse of that frame, before using it have it thoroughly magna-fluxed or otherwise inspected for non-visual metal stress and below-surface flaws -- the last thing you want is a frame to break on you while riding down the road at 70 mph (go straight to heaven, don't pass go, don't collect $200). My advice: get a frame from SpecialK (best bet) or find a local bike that has a seized engine in it.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

the frame was put on a jig and it is perfect. I bought it from someone I know personally and have delt with many times for parts. I don't doubt that getting this thing retitled is gonna be a pain and I'll buy one from keith if i have too but what a buzz kill man. I'm almost done woth over a years worth of rebuilding and now my main component needs to be replaced. @@#$$%!%% %#!%$@ %!!%^& ^^&*@!! crap! So keith what your saying is that Florida is the only place that will retitle this frame?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
              So keith what your saying is that Florida is the only place that will retitle this frame?
              I don't know what Keith has to say, but I'm telling you that Florida will specifically NOT retitle that frame no matter what.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What I'm saying is NO ONE will re-title a FLA CD title...............

I've had lots of guys selling CD bikes try & tell me they can in certain states, only to call that state's DMV and they say NO!

I haven't found one yet...............in almost 30 states!

There MIGHT be one or two, but I darn sure don't know which ones they are!

Comment

MAYBE VERY GOOD NEWS THOUGH>...........

Today I met up with a fellow bike builder/parter/buyer/seller............and he JUST picked up a wrecked 2001 Katana 600 with a good North Carolina title. It is a branded title that says Salvage Rebuilt, but usually here once you rebuild them again the title is clean. He can probably do that for the cost of the tax & title fees +a little for his time...........

Frame looks to be slightly bent at the main stem, but most states will let you transfer that VIN to another frame.....................pretty common for rebuild shops.

E-mail me if you are intertested.

Comment

Working...
                  X