X

motorcycle jack?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motorcycle jack?

so i as doing my tires and found it to be a major pain to support the front end. the forks arent even so using jack stand wasnt working very well.

So im thinking if hooking up a nice jack to lift the whole bike with. however looking under the bike i dont see how the jack would work? the exhaust and oil sump all seem uneven. how does the jack support the bike when the underside has no level spot to rest on, or am i just missing something obvious?
    03 katanika

Those jacks are for cruisers or ATV's which have frames under the engine. I'm sure someone out there has rigged up some way to use one with a sportbike, but as they are supplied it won't work with your Kat.

IMO, the best option is to buy a set of stands, the front being one that supports the bike from the steering stem.
    I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

(I had to delete the pics at the end of the thread ahile ago)

Comment

id like to use the jack stand, i have a few friends that want me to start doing basic work for them(oil changes and junk). be nice to have a universal jack stand to lift them right up with.

guess the race stands arent to bad either. i havent seen one for the front that doesnt lift by the forks though, any links to the steering stem version?
        03 katanika

Comment

just got one from a recycler a few days ago for $80, it was a lockhart phillips one. just be careful on the kat, because they have a lot of plastic up front, so most have a hard time clearing... (at least using mine is tricky)

if you get this kind tho, you need to have the rear stabilized with a center stand or a rear swingarm stand as the steering stem version will obviously wobble

Comment

Originally posted by ndn
            http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/149784264.html

just got one from a recycler a few days ago for $80, it was a lockhart phillips one. just be careful on the kat, because they have a lot of plastic up front, so most have a hard time clearing... (at least using mine is tricky)

if you get this kind tho, you need to have the rear stabilized with a center stand or a rear swingarm stand as the steering stem version will obviously wobble
            that looks like a normal fork stand. is there any issues with the forks not being even? my car jack stands would be fine except the forks arent even so it would wobble...
            03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
              that looks like a normal fork stand. is there any issues with the forks not being even? my car jack stands would be fine except the forks arent even so it would wobble...
              What do you mean your forks aren't even? Your forks HAVE to be even if the tire is on, because the axle ensures the forks go up/down at the same time/angle.
              America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field, and then have a party.

Comment

Originally posted by Fingers
                What do you mean your forks aren't even? Your forks HAVE to be even if the tire is on, because the axle ensures the forks go up/down at the same time/angle.
                the brake side fork is a different shape than the clutch side. the brake side of the fork is squared off making it like half inch longer than the clutch side which is rounded. when the forks are on jack stands they arent even and wobble....
                03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by Fingers
                  Katana's only have an axle pinch bolt on one side. One leg is longer than the other, which can cause problems using a standard fork lift stand.
                  I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

id like to use the jack stand, i have a few friends that want me to start doing basic work for them(oil changes and junk). be nice to have a universal jack stand to lift them right up with.

guess the race stands arent to bad either. i havent seen one for the front that doesnt lift by the forks though, any links to the steering stem version?
                    Build a tube-frame rack deal to hold them up . Can be done on the cheap , and with some tiedowns , you can hold up pretty much any bike .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                      http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17383&highlight=

(I had to delete the pics at the end of the thread ahile ago)

Comment

JP had it way back early in this thread (and MD85 echo'd it, as did ), but I guess you weren't looking at the pictures or other threads.

The short link:

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17383

First post in that thread has the pictures.

That same set-up can easily hold the front up by passing the straps under the steering head.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          JP had it way back early in this thread (and MD85 echo'd it, as did ), but I guess you weren't looking at the pictures or other threads.

The short link:

That same set-up can easily hold the front up by passing the straps under the steering head.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          i saw that, just wasnt sure i was up to buying all the tubes to build it ha
                          03 katanika

Comment

I tried the straps attached to the rear hung out in a "y" from the ceiling. Worked great!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

The short link:

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Yeah , I didn't actually click the link .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X