X

Stiff Clutch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiff Clutch

Ok, this can't be normal. I just got my bike serviced and checked over after I bought it. Now I have only one problem. The clutch is stiff as hell. Also, when in gear, if I pull the clutch all the way in, if I rev high enough, the bike starts to pull. That shouldn't happen should it? Supposedly they cleaned and lubed the clutch cable which has made it a little better but still hurts my hand. Does it sound like I need a new clutch, or is this something they should be able to adjust? Anyone got any ideas or had the same problem?

try adjusting the cable yourself. there's an adjuster on the lever. if you find that helps, but doesn't do enough, there's also an adjuster on the sprocket cover. that's the main one. the one on the lever is more for fine tuning.

Long Live the D

Comment

If it got worse after someone else messed with it , they did it wrong . Make THEM fix it .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Me thinks you've got a couple different issues going on:

(A) Routing incorrectly under the tank, causing the tank to effectively clamp onto the cable (and possibly causing some damages inside the sheathing). The clutch cable (& other cables) needs to run right under the center of the tank to avoid this (wire ties will hold all the cables there -- attach loosely enough so that they aren't holding the cable in the sheath).

(B) Damages to the cable within the sheath. As the metal cable strands snap, they dig into the sheath, making the cable pull very hard.

There is, of course, the possibility that the previous owner installed the Barett racing clutch springs instead, which are substancially stiffer than stock, and can be a PIA in city riding where you're constantly on/off the clutch.

There's also the possibility that the pivot on the other end of the cable is jamming up a bit -- someone around here has experience with that happening and how to cure it (MD86?).

My advice: replace the clutch cable with a new one and route it correctly. If this doesn't resolve your issue, then expect to need to replace the clutch springs to get the results you want.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          There's also the possibility that the pivot on the other end of the cable is jamming up a bit -- someone around here has experience with that happening and how to cure it (MD86?).

Comment

mine will move forward if i start it in gear only when its cold, but i hear this can be normal till it warms up

Comment

Yup .

Comment

Working...
              X