X

cold cranking amps

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold cranking amps

I have a easystart YB10L-B2 wet battery. Anyone know what the cold cranking amps are? What is the ballpark for motorcycle batteries. I know car batteries have the CCA and CA posted on the label but this battery has none. Any help?

I just looked on my battery and nothing was on there either. All it said was High Cranking and even had the method as to charge it. I can not find my manual right now.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I looked in the haynes manual, all it lists is 12 volts 14 amp hours and specific gravity, no CCA

Comment

that is the manual I have. I guess it doesn't matter.
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Re: cold cranking amps

Originally posted by arsenic13
          I have a easystart YB10L-B2 wet battery. Anyone know what the cold cranking amps are? What is the ballpark for motorcycle batteries. I know car batteries have the CCA and CA posted on the label but this battery has none. Any help?
          Suzuki - GSX600F Katana
          1988 - 1997 600cc

Battery Family: YuMicron
          Battery Type: YB10L-B2
          Voltage: 12
          Capacity: 11
          Dimensions: 5.3125" x 3.5625" x 5.75"
          Weight: 7 lbs.
          Metric Dimensions: 135mm x 90mm x 145mm
          Metric Weight: 3.2 kg
          Polarity:
          Acid Volume: 27
          Amps: 1.1
          CCA: YuMicron: 142 - 150
          CCA (comparison): YuMicron Maint Free: 172 - 188
          CCA (comparison): Typical "other Brand" 100 - 110
          CCA differences due to radial grid design (maint Free) and additional plates (both standard and maint-free) compared to other brand conventional batteries.
          NOTE: No High Performance Maint Free available in a 10 AH size.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyberpoet, your vast knowledge and mechanical verbal skills never ceese to amaze me. I e-mailed the company (motobatteries.com) that I bought this battery from and they didn't know. I have every tech manual ever know to man, none of them helped, but you nailed it. Thanks buddy.

Comment

Note the numbers that I posted are "ideal" condition CCA ratings for brand new batteries of the YB10L-B2 category. Glass-matt/gel (maint-free) batteries normally have a higher CCA rating, and some brands are better constructed than others. My personal experience has taught me there are only a few firms with superior battery designs on the motorcycle market, and out of those, the cheapest is actually the OEM battery on the Kats.

Heat and vibration will cause the CCA ratings to drop (permanently, the typical cause of long term battery death), while cold will cause the CCA rating to drop (temporarily -- until the battery is warmed back up).

Q: Why was the CCA rating important to you?

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well I had to pour the acid in this battery and charge it. I had it at work (I'm an auto tech) and the I used a multimeter to check for voltage, it was at 12.6, then I figured I'd ceck it with the tester we use for charging systems which bases the test on CCA. I didn't know what the CCA rating was so I entered 400 into the tester and the CCA came up as like 148 or something which seemed low considering auto batteries are somewhere around 600. I didn't know if I should charge it more or not, so I just figered I'd find out what the CCA were supposed to be.

Comment

well I had to pour the acid in this battery and charge it. I had it at work (I'm an auto tech) and the I used a multimeter to check for voltage, it was at 12.6, then I figured I'd ceck it with the tester we use for charging systems which bases the test on CCA. I didn't know what the CCA rating was so I entered 400 into the tester and the CCA came up as like 148 or something which seemed low considering auto batteries are somewhere around 600. I didn't know if I should charge it more or not, so I just figered I'd find out what the CCA were supposed to be.
                  From Yuasa Battery FAQ - How can you tell if a battery has been properly charged?

The following characteristics will tell you if a battery has been properly charged:
                  1. The specific gravity of the acid is over 1.275 (conventional type batteries only).
                  2. Maximum voltage output across battery terminals can be maintained at constant level for two hours.
                  3.Open circuit voltage is stablilized @12.7v or higher @ 6.3v or higher for 6 volt batteries.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CCA: YuMicron: 142 - 150
                    What Cyber said and I can't argue with that.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                    X