X

fuel problems is what i have

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel problems is what i have

Ya'll were great over on the body side of the site. Hopefull I will be able to get an equal or better respnce over here. I picked up a 88 GSX600F from a guy that hadn't been on the bike in over a year. It would not turn over when I got it, but I am now able to ride for short distances. I am however having fuel flow problems and idle problems. As far as the idle goes, well in short it won't. I believe that they may just need to be synched, or possiably the idler screw has backed out some how, either way not to hard of a fix. As far as my fuel flow problem goes, It seems to be getting to much fuel and flooding. It is to the point that the fuel actaully travels backwards in the carbs and leaks where the carbs conect to the air box. I have taken great care in cleaning the carbs and I have already re-jeted it, with the jets in the correct order. It apears that only the far left carb is leaking(if you are standing behind the bike) but it is a mini exxon on my garage floor. I have been playing with this thing for a while, and am having fun, but frustration is setting in, all I want to fo is ride. Ya'll are great. Thanks in advance.

Don
    The greatest thing in life is getting your hair cut every two weeks and watching your neighbor fall off his roof.

maybe a float problem in that carb? also make sure your fuel switch is on "run" not "prime". if you didn't disassemble to clean, you could still have a pilot jet clogged causing your idling problem. good luck.

Comment

If it won't idle , yeah , your pilots are probably not clean . And leaking fuel ? Well , your floats is messed up ! Either they're sticking , there's something in the needle seat (I had that problem) , needles are worn , pin-hole in the floats ...soemthing's wrong with the floats ! Try taking the carbs off , take the bowl off the #1 carb (drain it first!) , and put the gas to prime . Keep rags handy , as this WILL get messy ! Push up the float and see if the gas flow stops . Make sure the floats FLOAT (no holes) , and that they move easily .
      As for the pilots ...well , I guess you might need to clean them again . Stick ONE wire from a wire brush through them . Blow brake-cleaner through the idle passageways in the carb bodies , too . See what happens .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

md86, you have done this too many times

I agree with everything MD said. If your floats are working properly, it doesn't matter if is on Prime or run. If not, it will leak through fuel, running either way you set the petcock, or on Prime either way.
        AMA member # 224227

Comment

Originally posted by Meikol2
          md86, you have done this too many times
          But I'm damned good at it by now ! Plus , I can tune my carbs in a parking lot using what I keep in my "purse" aka backpack !

Comment

Next time I get into my carbs, I need to replace the screws on the bowls with allen heads. I had to make new slots in a couple of them with my dremel to get them off the first time, as they were stipped.
            AMA member # 224227

Comment

Needle-nose vice-grips , never leave home without em . They were PERFECT for getting my stripped bowl-screw out . I can never find allen-head replacement bolts around here , though .

Comment

Originally posted by Meikol2
                Next time I get into my carbs, I need to replace the screws on the bowls with allen heads. I had to make new slots in a couple of them with my dremel to get them off the first time, as they were stipped.
                I bought a box of 100 of them............still have quite a few!

ALSO: DonCochran:

When you rebuild those older carbs, you really need to replace every single o-ring in each carb.......there are 2 on each float assembly, one in the air cap at teh vacuum point, one at the fuel needle in teh float, and one at the bottom of the slide casing. This one's tough to get at on those early Kat carbs.........but here's a trick: Use one of the float bowl screws or bolts, thread it into where the main jet was, and gently tap it to push the casing to the top! Once out, you'll see that precious o-ring and I can alsmot guarentee it's bad.......

Also, check the float bowl gaskets, replace them, reset the floats at ?14.6mm?, and check for worn needles or needle seats...............

If I can help, I have most of those parts here in stock for th 90's carbs........and they should fit the 88 & 89's I'm pretty sure.

E-mail is fastest.................
                I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Well that is rather handy Keith!

I will have to add that to my pending order.

Neener-neener MD!
                  AMA member # 224227

Comment

Hmmm , I could use some of those too ... Nah , I got other stuff on the list that's more important .

Comment

You know everyone says use wire to clean the carbs, yet my manual says never use wire..
                      I'm thinking of trying monofiliment line when I rebuild mine next.. if my gasket kits ever show up!!! I guess I should have checked with Special K first!! I'll test to make sure gas or carb spray will not dissolve the mono-fil. frist..

The float needle gasket must be the weakest link no? It must get grooved after a while..

Comment

The needle seat can get worn too. Very common from what I have read. Don't lose any of the freakin O-rings from the air side either. Try balancing your carbs with one of the vaccuum posrts leaking. Those things are tiny too, so disassembly in a dark parking lot is not recommended

I know from experience.
                        AMA member # 224227

Comment

I use wires, but I'm careful not to overdo things.......I use the smallest wire available and sort of run it around a lot in the hole.........

But one helpful tip...........use LOTS of VERY GOOD carb cleaner or brake fluid, (I like the 3M brake fluid) and then use lots of dry comressed air......blow everything out!

I automatically replace all teh rubber I can..............and those needles on the floats are rubber tipped and a groove can easily wear in them over time..........like 20,000 miles +!

Here's a REALLY good LINK:

Go down the left side bar to Mikuni/Keihin Rebuilds and or Carb Tuning
                          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I just replaced the needle and seat on carb number 1. Also the tank is sealing right now so I won't be able to put fuel in it for another day. I hope that replacing the needle and seat will stop the fuel leakage. But if it still doesn't start pretty easily I guess that I will have to try something else. How do you reset the floats? Where did you find the carb bowl bolts at with the hex heads, I would love to get my hands on some of thoes. I think if this next atempt doesn't work I will just have to do a complete rebuild of all four carbs. Any idea where I can get a good price on all of the parts that I will need. minus the floats. They all still float, but I guess that newer is beter and might as well replace them while I am replacing everything else. Thanks for all the help. We will see in a couple of days how it goes.

Don
                            The greatest thing in life is getting your hair cut every two weeks and watching your neighbor fall off his roof.

Comment

Hey , if the floats work , no sense in replacing them . On adjusting them , you just bend the little metal tab the needle hangs from . They're supposed to be around 14. something mm to around 16 mm . There's a good how to floating around somewhere . Bet you'll find it if you search for "771doug" ....

Comment

Working...
                              X