No announcement yet.
X

92 GSXR 1127 engine into 750F Kat, questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was there a issue with the 750 cooler ? Whats the size difference.
    Just wondering if it was absolutely necessary to fab parts or not.
    I would have just used the 750 stuff unless you had issues with clearance.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Tekgnome; this 92 GSXR motor came with the starter and alternator for $750, so I drove a 9 hour round trip for that kinda deal.
      I dunno, maybe they're the same as the 750.

I'm sure the 750 oil cooler would fit just as it did.
      I was expecting the 1100 cooler to have more lines, however it's exactly the same size.
      The 1100 lines are wider, outside dia: 750-10mm, 1100-13mm.
      I'm not gonna worry about oil flow with the bigger lines.
      Last edited by buffalobill; 11-11-2015, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
        I'm sure the 750 oil cooler would fit just as it did.I was expecting the 1100 cooler to have more lines, however it's exactly the same size.The 1100 lines are wider, outside dia: 750-10mm, 1100-13mm.I'm not gonna worry about oil flow with the bigger lines.
        Ok, so if you had to do it again you would just stick with the 750 lines and cooler then ? I was thinking with the K-11 cooler appearing to be mounted a little lower than the 750 would be (I may be wrong there) that your air stream into the radiator could be blocked by the front wheel. In other words, with the 750 cooler mounted higher, the wheel would not block the air stream as much. That being said, it may be wise to leave the front fender off too since this is a track bike. That way you get optimum open air passage flow to the cooler. Plus don't don't forget to wrap those headers, which by the way I was wondering if those are the K-11 pieces. I believe I've read that the Bandit 1200 headers fit our Katana 1100 engines. That could make your life a bit easier when it comes to exhaust since its already a 4-1 unit.

Comment

Tekgnome; this 92 GSXR motor came with the starter and alternator for $750, so I drove a 9 hour round trip for that kinda deal.
          I dunno, maybe they're the same as the 750.

I'm sure the 750 oil cooler would fit just as it did.
          I was expecting the 1100 cooler to have more lines, however it's exactly the same size.
          The 1100 lines are wider, outside dia: 750-10mm, 1100-13mm.
          I'm not gonna worry about oil flow with the bigger lines.
          Ahh, I paid $400 for my b12 and $200 to ship it. Not a bad deal since I didn't have to haul it or pay for gas. However its still unconfirmed if I have a 200lb paper weight. It was listed as "Guaranteed strong running" "pulled from running bike" Im surprised the crate even came. I have buyers protection If i got screwed.

I really appreciate The help, I've learned so much from reading through your work.

The shop is unsure if my kats starter will work. Ill call around lunch tomorrow and check in on it.
          Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
          The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Hey Katanarider, Im not worried about the cooler maybe 2" lower, not getting a cool draft, that's gotta be a very turbulent place.
            Bandit 1200 headers sounded like a good tip and I checked that and found some cheap.
            But, I wondered about the fit and found some online pics of them leaned over and saw they have a different oil pan.
            So maybe to fit those headers you'd have to use the Bandit oil pan?
            The Bandit has a different frame too, so?
            Damn good lookin' headers!

Last edited by buffalobill; 11-12-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Yes, switch the oil pan. Thats what I did when I swapped my pre kat600 motor to a post engine. You may be able to use your 750 oil pan, I don't know. EDIT: wait, your pre98 has dual exhaust so that 750 pan will not work.
              2nd EDIT: You'll need the B12 oil pick up tube too.
              I'm curious about the fitment as well, but I believe even 92xjunker said it will work too...I maybe wrong but I think I remember him saying it will work in a old thread...maybe he will respond to this comment.
              Last edited by katanarider; 11-12-2015, 08:36 PM.

Comment

If you look at that pan, it actually drops below the frame. I think your safe there. Unless the pan is really thin and that is the oil pickup. B12 owner should help here.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  If you look at that pan, it actually drops below the frame. I think your safe there. Unless the pan is really thin and that is the oil pickup. B12 owner should help here.
                  So... if you had to bet, would you be willing to buy a set of B12 headers if it were your bike ? I swear I think I remember you saying the headers swap. I also remember you saying the B12 engine is basically a early GSXR 1100 motor with a different stroke or bore.
                  Either way bill, ebay or craigslist should provide a cheap source for a set of used headers for test purposes. This is if your willing to throw away $30,$40,$50 bucks. Heck, worse case senario I'll pay you $10 bucks if it doesn't. I want to know that bad too. Maybe we can take up some funds for the cause. After all, we'll all benefit from your experiment.

Comment

If it were me, sure would. An air cooled Suzuki is an air cooled Suzuki. I haven't seen anybody say that you needed a pan swap to fit it. From my, searching; it will fit, make sure you get all of the header clamps with it.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

$10 awaits if it doesn't work bill.
                      katanarider signing off till tomorrow.

Comment

Later for that, anyway it's obvious a 4>1 system would mean no belly pan. I like the belly pan!

So WOW, started up today no problem!
                        Sounded great, basso rumble!
                        One issue, it's idling up at 3-4 grand, idle screw don't do anything. So must be vacuum leak, and probably the O rings.
                        Bummer is I got some from bikebandit but they're a bit too small, 39.7mm inside dia. They won't stay in the groove long enough to put the pipe back on.
                        I'm gonna try to buy some O rings at the auto parts or hardware store.

Comment

You blocked the port on carb #4?
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I have a few questions, or comments.
                            I don't understand why you think the belly pan will not fit with a 4-1 header. Thats exactly why the oil pan is different, so the pipe clears the oil pan/fits snug against the block. Also, the pre-98 belly pan is cut in such a way that it only appears to cover the bottom of the engine when actually its simply blocking the view of the header end. You still have access to the oil pan drain plug and all and the exhaust tube fits between that slot.
                            Next, I assume your using the 34mm 1100cc carbs and not your 36mm 750cc carbs...???? Just wondering because there is some uncertainty if, or how the 36mm carbs interchange. Something to do with the intake boot configuration. I myself am wanting to convert to 36mm carbs, so if you do the swap be sure to inform us on how you do it. As far as your high idle and the idle screw not making a difference, the 1100 carbs idle screw has a tendency to twist without actually turning the screw on the end of the adjuster tube. In other words look at the screw on the tip of the tube between carbs 2 & 3 to confirm the thumb drive is actually engaging... TIP: Twist the throttle to take the pressure off the screw as you turn the thumb drive. Also, there is a way to repair the extension tube with a hose clamp so it grips the screw.
                            Last edited by katanarider; 11-13-2015, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I have a cap on #4, but I'll check that again.
                              I took 2 of the intake pipes off, so that broke their O ring seal and that's where vacuum leaks usually happen.
                              I tried to view the curb idle screw to see if in fact it did unscrew but couldn't get an angle. Seems I have take the cabs out to check that.
                              On a GS550 I once tried to go cheap and just try to seal the old O rings more better, but that didn't work so good.

As for the carbs and intake pipes:
                              I'm using the 750 carbs BST36SS, with Dynotune stage 1 mods: 120 mains, needle clip at their suggested mid point, and their "correctors" that reduce the air passages on either side of the needle.
                              The 1100 block came with pipes and they fit the 750 carbs fine so I'm using those.
                              The 750 pipe opening was a little offset on the 1100 but can be ground out to match the head openings.

Comment

As for the carbs and intake pipes:
                                I'm using the 750 carbs BST36SS, with Dynotune stage 1 mods: 120 mains, needle clip at their suggested mid point, and their "correctors" that reduce the air passages on either side of the needle.
                                The 1100 block came with pipes and they fit the 750 carbs fine so I'm using those.
                                The 750 pipe opening was a little offset on the 1100 but can be ground out to match the head openings.
                                Pipes ??? lol... I guess you mean the intake boots.
                                Any who...THANKS MAN

Comment

Working...
                                X