X

Stalling while riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stalling while riding

Can anyone tell me what going on with '01 Katana....it's stalling while coming home. It just stopped and had to pop clutch to restart. Four times within four miles. What should I check?

I'm new to actually messing with my own bike. Mine does the same thing. I believe it's your carbs. Probably need cleaning.

Comment

Need more info. Does it just die, does the idle drop to a stall. How does the the motor run, idle stable at 1100-1300, does it rev and drop down to a normal idle with no hang or dip? after fire? bogging at any rpm range. any service recently done. What diagnostic have you done?
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I would start with checking your kickstand safety switch.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

+1 on sidestand switch. Clean the plunger up real good, give it a good soaking with electrical cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by albnton View Post
            Can anyone tell me what going on with '01 Katana....it's stalling while coming home. It just stopped and had to pop clutch to restart. Four times within four miles. What should I check?
            Just died while steady idle goin down the street.

No recent work has been done....just purchased from previous owner last week.
            Last edited by albnton; 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Have you checked your sidestand switch?

If it triggers - it will kill your bike stone dead.

Comment

+1, I agree, sidestand safety switch
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks people, I believe it was the k/s switch. After tie wrapping it up, no problems coming home. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

three things then..
                    1 check to be sure the bolt holding the kick stand to the bike is tight an not a lot of play at that joint.
                    2 be sure the plunger is working smoothly an not sticking
                    3 trace the wires to the switch to be sure it doesn't have any breaks or exposed areas that can cause a short (sounds like this option isnt likely to be your issue though)
                    Then you can properly fix it an not worry bout it

oh and
                    4 make sure you have 2 springs on the kick stand an that they are both functioning

id guess springs are weak or missing or the the bolt is loose or joint worn causing the switch to intermittently cut the engine
                    Last edited by crazycraven420; 08-28-2013, 09:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Just make sure you un-tiewrap it and fix it!

It's there for a very good reason, and nasty things can happen if you forget about it

It's very easily repaired though

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                        Just make sure you un-tiewrap it and fix it!

It's there for a very good reason, and nasty things can happen if you forget about it

It's very easily repaired though
                        Or just make sure you never ride off with the kickstand down. My old GS500 didn't have a working kickstand or clutch sensor so I bypassed all of them. Only left the kickstand once and found out very fast when I went to make a left. Ever since then I have never forgotten to raise the stand

Comment

I remember the Honda NSR had a specific Sidestand light on the cluster. I wish more bikes had that, it would help some people

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                            I remember the Honda NSR had a specific Sidestand light on the cluster. I wish more bikes had that, it would help some people

It would be very easy to make your own. Just tap the sidestand switch with a single pull double throw relay and wire it to an LED.
                            Last edited by numus; 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X