Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Could the fuel switch be messing everything up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the fuel switch be messing everything up?

So, i'm taking my bike apart right now - and got the gas tank draining. This is where i have found that my fuel switch is actually busted up. It wouldn't drain gas on prime till i wiggled it a bit then it wanted to pop off like the clips were worn out and the spring beneath it was pushing it off.

I got it to work on prime - so that gas is draining into a gas can; but what i'm wondering is...could this have been my problem?

See, my bike got gas in the oil...at first i was thinking it was my carbs. But now i'm thinking it could just be this switch that was flooding the carbs.

I don't really want to have to pull the carbs completely apart since i'm on limited funds AND time..

input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

I'm working on the bike as i type so, i'll check back periodically.

Originally posted by drewpleblanc View Post
    So, i'm taking my bike apart right now - and got the gas tank draining. This is where i have found that my fuel switch is actually busted up. It wouldn't drain gas on prime till i wiggled it a bit then it wanted to pop off like the clips were worn out and the spring beneath it was pushing it off.

I got it to work on prime - so that gas is draining into a gas can; but what i'm wondering is...could this have been my problem?

See, my bike got gas in the oil...at first i was thinking it was my carbs. But now i'm thinking it could just be this switch that was flooding the carbs.

I don't really want to have to pull the carbs completely apart since i'm on limited funds AND time..

input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

I'm working on the bike as i type so, i'll check back periodically.
    No, if you have gas in your oil, you need to clean your carbs. The floats in the carbs, when functioning properly, will shut off the gas at a specific point regardless of the vessel the gas is coming from. If your carbs are working properly, you can keep your petcock on prime full time with no ill effects. So you definitely need to fix the carbs.

However, you seen to have a petcock problem in addition. If the petcock is on regular and/or reserve and working properly it will limit the amount of gas that can slip through if you develop a problem with your float seals. So you will probably want to look into rebuilding that in addition to fixing your carbs. Addition to, not instead of.
    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

I personally have never seen a petcock rebuild. I did not think that they should let fuel out when placed on "on" and "reserve" only when the engine is running because the run off of vacuum or something like that. and should always let fuel flow when on "prime". Also If you are trying to completly drain the tank you will have to remove the petcock completly. When it is put on prime it will only pull fuel from the main tank. I just had to do this myself this weekend. Carbs 101 and 102 are great to learn. I wish I would have attempted to do it myself instead of getting screwed by a shop. Good luck keep us posted
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132122

Comment

Originally posted by jmoles95 View Post
        I personally have never seen a petcock rebuild. I did not think that they should let fuel out when placed on "on" and "reserve" only when the engine is running because the run off of vacuum or something like that. and should always let fuel flow when on "prime". Also If you are trying to completly drain the tank you will have to remove the petcock completly. When it is put on prime it will only pull fuel from the main tank. I just had to do this myself this weekend. Carbs 101 and 102 are great to learn. I wish I would have attempted to do it myself instead of getting screwed by a shop. Good luck keep us posted

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96553

[ame="http://compare.ebay.com/like/360718251840?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&va r=sbar"]http://compare.ebay.com/like/360718251840?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&va r=sbar[/ame]

There are 2 holes in the internal selector of the petcock A larger one, and a smaller one.

In prime, the smaller hole is positioned to allow flow from the lowest intake point of the petcock, and will allow for fully draining the tank with out petcock removal.

In "ON" the large hole is positioned to the higher intake point.

In "RES" reserve, the large hole is positioned to the lowest intake point.

The small hole is only used for prime.

If you remove the knob assemble and look into the petcock for the selector, there is a center slot, and a small indention. In the ON position, the indention is to the right side. Prime it would be on the top side, Res it would be on the bottom side.

Carefull attention to this must be paid, or you will insert in 180 degrees out, cause the petcock to function incorrectly, and damge the prime spring so that it is bent and will not function prime at all, or makes it permanently flow fuel.
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X