X

Some questions about my new bike.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about my new bike.

I recently bought a 2001 Suzuki Katana 600 with 7000 miles on it. Would I notice in the ride if my chain needs to be tightened. Like what weird things can you notice while riding?

And when i'm going straight down the road my handles are ever so slightly to the left? Any reason why?

Thanks in advance from a proud new Katana owner.

Originally posted by MichaelVeringo View Post
    I recently bought a 2001 Suzuki Katana 600 with 7000 miles on it. Would I notice in the ride if my chain needs to be tightened. Like what weird things can you notice while riding?

And when i'm going straight down the road my handles are ever so slightly to the left? Any reason why?

Thanks in advance from a proud new Katana owner.
    The simplest way to check the chain is...

With it on the sidestand, use your toe to lift on it in the center bottom... if it moves more than about 1/2"... your probably in need of adjustment. At the least, do the official measurement check by the manual. (free to download here... )

Loose chain is noisy, and will cause jerky operation accel and deccel.

As for the pull to the left... could be tires, bearings, wheel alignment, bent front end.... lots of things.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The simplest way to check the chain is...

With it on the sidestand, use your toe to lift on it in the center bottom... if it moves more than about 1/2"... your probably in need of adjustment. At the least, do the official measurement check by the manual. (free to download here... )

Loose chain is noisy, and will cause jerky operation accel and deccel.

As for the pull to the left... could be tires, bearings, wheel alignment, bent front end.... lots of things.

Krey
      Thanks! It did seem kinda noisy on launches and jerky going down the road in the lower RPMs. Just checked it and it moves a pretty good bit. And it's not necessarily pulling. The handles just seem off centered. Could just be my OCD kicking in or feeling weary that I bought this bike on Craigslist. How many RPMs should I just cruise on?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelVeringo View Post
        How many RPMs should I just cruise on?
        Depends entirelly on how fast you are going and what gear you are in - do you mean city centre, middle of nowhere backroads or motorway?

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
          Depends entirelly on how fast you are going and what gear you are in - do you mean city centre, middle of nowhere backroads or motorway?
          Usually city center. Should I stick between 4-5k?

Comment

Torque starts building pretty fast at about 4.5k rpm so if you're wanting to be able to accelerate in a hurry to avoid something, that's a great place to be in.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              Torque starts building pretty fast at about 4.5k rpm so if you're wanting to be able to accelerate in a hurry to avoid something, that's a great place to be in.
              Thanks! Yeah with all the crazy drivers in Myrtle Beach I need to be able to get out of the way really quick just in case.

Comment

Working...
              X