X

New Kat Owner needs Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kat Owner needs Help

Ok i got a 2002 Kat 600. The guy i bought it from said it sat for 2 years and wont start. Ok so i bought it from him cleaned the carbs and it still wouldnt start......It wasnt getting gas. So i cleaned the fuel peacock and bam IT STARTED. now i am a first time rider so i just rode it around my block a few times but when i stop at a stop sign it shuts off. the choke when i have it up shuts the bike off and when i have it down the bike runs (is this right?)

Pull the choke towards you (as seated on bike) to start, away is off.

Comment

Originally posted by ndesent View Post
      Ok i got a 2002 Kat 600. The guy i bought it from said it sat for 2 years and wont start. Ok so i bought it from him cleaned the carbs and it still wouldnt start......It wasnt getting gas. So i cleaned the fuel peacock and bam IT STARTED. now i am a first time rider so i just rode it around my block a few times but when i stop at a stop sign it shuts off. the choke when i have it up shuts the bike off and when i have it down the bike runs (is this right?)

The carbs are still not fully cleaned. Specifically, the pilot circuit.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by everready View Post
        Pull the choke towards you (as seated on bike) to start, away is off.
        Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        The carbs are still not fully cleaned. Specifically, the pilot circuit.

Krey
        Thanks guys. I guess I'll take it to a moto shop next week and have them clean them up good , but damn they talking 500 bucks

Comment

make sure they clean em, there are some cases where they take them in and dont do nothing and just take your money

Comment

for $500 there is probably a member here that will sell you a set of carbs that are already rebuilt
            And they are rebuilt by somebody that actually knows them
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Did you clean the tank when you cleaned the carbs?
              When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
                Did you clean the tank when you cleaned the carbs?

No i did not clean the tank.....i neighbor of mine that has a bike told me to get it to gas station fill it wit premium and add fuel booster to tank and ride out tank....then it should stop.....BET HIS *** WAS WRONG HUH????

Comment

Originally posted by ndesent View Post
                  No i did not clean the tank.....i neighbor of mine that has a bike told me to get it to gas station fill it wit premium and add fuel booster to tank and ride out tank....then it should stop.....BET HIS *** WAS WRONG HUH????

Yeah, that isn't gonna turn out like he thinks.

I would suggest you look at downloading carbs 102, spend $20 on a can of carb dip... and take your time learning the wonders of working on your own bike.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thx guys

Comment

don't use premium fuel. made to run on 87. if you want to upgrade use 89.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                        don't use premium fuel. made to run on 87. if you want to upgrade use 89.
                        The short story:
                        89 octane isn't an upgrade unless the engine is designed to need it. Kat engines aren't.

Long story:
                        Octane is a rating of how much energy needs to go into the fuel in order to make it ignite. A lot of that energy comes from compression and then the spark pushes it over the edge into combustion. If your engine doesn't provide enough compression to ignite the fuel/air mixture without a spark then raising the octane doesn't do a thing except make the mix burn slower. Along with the higher flash point, higher octane fuel also can provide more energy once it starts burning but since the flame front is moving slower than optimal you don't get a complete burn before the exhaust valves open. This means that it's generally a wash. Low octane fuel has a lower energy potential but burns completely, getting max benefit from what you've got. High octane fuel has a higher potential energy output but doesn't deliver all of it.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Man!!!!!!!!!! I am Learning alot already. Who is the member that is selling the cleaned up Carbs???

Comment

If they want $500 to clean a set of carbs, you should be finding a new shop.

There is a place near me that sonic cleans carbs for $40 per carb. The only downside is you have to separate them, which requires more work to sync them back together.

If you remove the carbs from the bike yourself, there is no way it will cost $500 to clean. If you want to try it yourself again, do as Krey says. Do your reading... then carb dip and compressed air will be your friends.
                            My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

If you have a few tools, sandwich bags and the carbs walkthrough, you may strongly want to consider doing it yourself. I did mine and I was sooo happy that I didn't pay someone else any money, let alone $500!!!

I used a combo of the service manual and the carbs 102 (+98 kat) when I did mine. I would just make sure to group all of the screws in sandwich bags and label them. Other than that, it's easy peasy.

Then again, maybe I just got lucky....
                              Extra life.

Comment

Working...
                              X