X

Is the rear brake adjustable? Changed brakes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the rear brake adjustable? Changed brakes

I installed new rear brake pads and rotor as well as the tire. The wheels doesn't spin so freely now, there's a decent bit of tension on the rotor! Can it be adjusted? I tried to compress the caliper, but it just moved side to side.

Any help? I'd love to ride this weekend. 1993 GSX750F

Ride it...... you're not going to use the rear brake usually....so don't worry.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^ What he said. I haven't used my rear brake (other than practicing locking up the rear for emergency situations) in routine riding since 2008.
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
        ... I haven't used my rear brake (other than practicing locking up the rear for emergency situations) in routine riding since 2008.
        Unfortunately I am using my rear brake quite alot at the mo, I bust my right pinky knuckle pretty bad and its hard (not impossible) to pull in front brake without a twinge of pain, so using rear more.

Plus, when I did my refresher course couple of years back (just before I got my Kat) my instructor insisted that should use rear brake more often.
        I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.

Comment

Rear brake is only used in emergencies and sitting at stop lights. You use your pinkie when using your levers? I only use 2 fingers so that seems odd to me.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
            Rear brake is only used in emergencies and sitting at stop lights. You use your pinkie when using your levers? I only use 2 fingers so that seems odd to me.
            +1 on the emergencies. i use my middle, ring, and pinkie fingers on the front brake.. its all what your comfortable with. so i can see your situation with a busted pinkie not being very good on the brake.

as far as adjust-ability? its "self adjustable"... but you have to spread them apart enough in the first place. put the pads in the caliper and take a screwdriver in between them and (CAREFULLY!) pry them apart enough that the rotor fits threw easily. then once its on hit the rear brake a few times for the pads to get closer to the rotor and viola! the tire should spin freely but with little pressure the brake stops it

if its too tight on the rotor then your new pads will wear very prematurely
            Last edited by boomer_95; 07-19-2012, 06:03 PM.
            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Yes! Thanks boomer! I tried spreading them apart like on a car, but couldn't figure out how. If you pally pressure to one the other comes out. This was my problem! Can't wait to fix it!

As far as using the rear brake, I use mine at nearly every stop...I jst don't apply as much pressure to it. I mostly use my gears though tbh.

Comment

the problem your having is that there is pressure built up in the reservoir/master cylinder, and the easiest way to "release" the pressure is threw the other side of the caliper. if you can get a clamp on each piston that would work. but i find that a screwdriver is the easiest and fastest way to do it. (again being CAREFULL! to not pry to hard and chip the pads) if i can i use the old pads to pry on because no-one cares if worn out pads get chipped or broken

Comment

Yeah I'll use the old pads for sure. It's gonna be great to ride again, you're the man Boomer!

Comment

try loosening the bolts on the link rod and the axle. they may be causing misalignment. also make sure the wheel is properly aligned[using chain adjusters].
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I learned a long time ago that when compressing the calipers on anything use the old pads to compress it.

Welding some tabs on the ends of a C clamp and putting them between the old pads then opening the clamp works pretty good.
                      sigpic
                      1989 GSX750F Kat GSXR750 engine Yoshi pipe Jet Kit K&N filters
                      Former US Navy, but I'll always be a sailor.

The wrench turning I can do, but its the knowledge about Bikes I'm lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by Po3Bowers View Post
                        I learned a long time ago that when compressing the calipers on anything use the old pads to compress it.

Welding some tabs on the ends of a C clamp and putting them between the old pads then opening the clamp works pretty good.
                        that's true on bigger calipers (like automotive) but on smaller ones like bikes/4wheelers etc. it usually wont hurt new pads if you pry them VERY SLIGHTLY apart. of course don't force anything but the pistons usually move fairly easily on smaller brakes with the slightest bit of pressure. automotive bakes are a different beast all together (some you have to turn to get them in)

that being said if you still have the old pads, then use them for your own reassurance if you haven't done many before

also i just realized you put this thread in the how-to section.. when there's a section dedicated to brakes and suspension

Comment

Surprised no one mentioned to check the brake fluid reservoir. I know they don't travel drastically but I have seen it where pads are low, people top off fluid. Time for new pads and the reservoir attempts to overflow but since no one checks the level it can't lol.
                          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post

according to who?

any credible riding instructor will tell you to use both. the rear brake is 40% of your stopping power. if you only save it for emergency use, then there is a good chance your lack of using it any other time will cause you to lock up the rear wheel, simply because you never use it and are not used to it.

personally, I use both. always have, always will. in fact, when I had to take my riding course a few years back for not having my classification, and I was the only one out of about a dozen other riders with at least some experience on a bike, who used the rear brake, and the instructor took notice of that and pointed me out as a good example. he also let me leave early while the rest had to practice it.

imho, not using the rear brake for whatever reason or excuse you come up with, is nothing more than fear, lack of proper skills, or based on rumors spread by those who say you shouldn't. it is there for a reason....to work as 40% of your stopping power. the proper way to ride is to use it along with the front brake.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

OP hasn't been back since October....
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X