Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Impossible Dyno Result. Different motor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impossible Dyno Result. Different motor?

Just bought my first sportbike. Got a used 1992 suzuki Katana 600 from a guy who was addmiteddly not the first owner. He swore up and down it was quick for a 600. A test drive confirmed this. Paid a grand, took the bike home Bought a full yoshi exhaust 4-1 system (an older one). installed it, rejet the carbs, shimmed the needles, and cleaned everything out.
    Took the bike down to a good buddy who happens to own a performance shop. He swore up and down that my air filter was clogged. So I removed it. it was. and we did the dyno air filterless. After everything was said and done, peaked at 105HP. I'm new to these bikes, but shouldnt that be impossible? How can I tell if the motor has been swapped out?

Maybe check what engine is in the frame. Just because the frame and title say 600 doesn't mean a gsxr 750 or 1100 wasn't installed.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

there should be a stamp on the left side of the engine, telling you the size.
      2002 GSXF 750

Comment

bad-***.
        -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
          Maybe check what engine is in the frame. Just because the frame and title say 600 doesn't mean a gsxr 750 or 1100 wasn't installed.
          ........ and that would be a bonus!
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Er look, i have a hard time believing you got the bike to run correctly without the air filter in.

Also, the 105 number seems a little off to me. In fact, I think it's pretty close to the factory number for the 750 motor.

Yes, it's possible someone swapped a 750 in... but then you are looking at crank hp vs rwhp.

Md86 was making about 90rwhp from his 771 kit.

Hemikat's B12 swap was making about 118 for comparison, which I think is around what md was getting with his as well.

Last thing to remember, is that dyno results are only comparable to results received on the SAME DYNO under SIMILAR CONDITIONS.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I really wanna know too how you rejetted the carbs if you don't know what motor it is.......

Comment

Damn, why couldnt the ******* who sold me my bike do something unexpectedly good like that..

Comment

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
                  there should be a stamp on the left side of the engine, telling you the size.
                  Couldn't find the stamp, but someone raised a good point, how did the jets I bought fit? Granted its been running pretty rich since I put them in. But that doesn't fit the whole bigger motor theory, since 600 jets should run lean in a bigger bike? Raced the same year make and model bike on my way home and ate him for breakfast. Wish I knew anything about carbs. Ill take some pictures of the engine. I'm also scheduled for another dyno run tommorow.

Edit:nevermind. found the stamp. its a 600cc motor. we either screwed the pooch on the dyno or i bought a motor with some serious internals. We'll find out tommorow.
                  Last edited by VoltAction; 06-15-2012, 02:21 PM. Reason: found the stamp

Comment

Trust me, its not a beast 600 engine

Unless its one of the yosh race engines from way back then, but youd be able to tell the difference.

105rwhp out of a katana 1100 would be believable.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by VoltAction View Post
                      Couldn't find the stamp, but someone raised a good point, how did the jets I bought fit? Granted its been running pretty rich since I put them in. But that doesn't fit the whole bigger motor theory, since 600 jets should run lean in a bigger bike? Raced the same year make and model bike on my way home and ate him for breakfast. Wish I knew anything about carbs. Ill take some pictures of the engine. I'm also scheduled for another dyno run tommorow.

Edit:nevermind. found the stamp. its a 600cc motor. we either screwed the pooch on the dyno or i bought a motor with some serious internals. We'll find out tommorow.
                      Factory Kat 600's dyno'd about 70 HP at the rear wheel. There is no amount of internal work or anything else that will result in the addition of 35 HP. Something is wrong with that guys dyno.

Comment

Also no one made kits for the 600 motors, since there already was a 750 version.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Waiting for a copy of the dyno sheet till I say anything else...
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Could very well be Dyno operator error. I'm no expert but I have run cars on a dyno in the past. Operator had to input tire diameter, gearing, etc. to get accurate results. Just my opinion.

Comment

Here is a reference... i just Dyno'd my `1100 a couple of months ago. The guy who runs the Dyno actually works for me and has both a Shop (stationary) and a Mobile Dyno. The best we could get with just some minor tuning was 107.9 RWHP on my 92 1100. so the 105 hp mark would be for a decently running 1100....
                              "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Working...
                              X